System 36 Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System 36 Hardware

Hello All, We have a System 36 sitting in storage and are wondering what we can do to recapture the storage space. In other words, what are our options for getting rid of it? Are the companies that buy/sell/trade System 36 hardware? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Bill

System 36 Hardware

Bill, I would like to know the secret of your invisiblity to aftermarket retailers. I get several notices per year on buying and selling hardware such as older /400s and even the occasional /36. None come to mind right now, as I toss them immediately, but I am sure others will respond. My advice, If you find anybody willing to pay the freight, let them have it. you could melt it down for the gold content, but that takes time and money. Roof dropping? That's a fashion statement to be sure. -bret

Comment

System 36 Hardware

There are always a few companies that will lug away stuff, and even pay you for it. Check out a rag called "The Processor". This monthly newsletter advertises VARs and other third party resellers that buy used, and even obsolete equipment. Dave

Comment

System 36 Hardware

Last time, it cost $1500.00 to have one legally disposed of; probably up to 3 thou by now. A pizza joint across the creek was fined 160 bucks for throwing a PC in their dumpster. There is an airplane hanger full of 38s in Illinois salvaged from the Savings and Loan debacle-- cheaper to store forever than dispose of legally. Happy new year! bobh

Comment

System 36 Hardware

In PC WEEK or WORLD a couple of years ago, I read an article about a company in Israel that was buying /34s and /36s to process the cards and reclaim the gold and platinum. Don't know how much is in there, but I could find a good use for a few ounces of either. -bret

Comment

System 36 Hardware

Bob, I don't know where you live but I have worked with companies in California and Colorado that simply gut the PCs and throw away the shells. The monitors, cards, modems, etc. are all thrown into a dumpster. For some reason they kept the harddrives and memory chips. None of the companies were ever fined. As to the original question, I would first ask IBM (or whomever is currently supporting your AS/400) for a recommendation. I have heard of rare instances where IBM has actually bought back a system (they bought a B10 from one company I worked for, granted it was for a few hundred bucks). Worse case is that they give you suggestions on companies. There are a lot of companies listed in the yellow pages that are 3rd party vendors, contact these. And finally, check with salvage companies.

Comment

System 36 Hardware

Are you in the uk? i have a 5363 and a 5364 sys/36s that i need some software for, (query/36 display write/36 dsu etc) I may be interested in your 36. regards charles 113125.2347@compuserve.com

Comment

Working...
              X