Publish RPG report to intranet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publish RPG report to intranet

On Thursday, October 30, 1997, 08:50 AM, Don Travis wrote: Does anyone know of a tool that will create a internet/intranet document from an RPG-generated report from the spool file. This would be similiar to the Cognos Impromtu tool that has an option to publish a report as an HTML. Don, I don't know of a tool/utility to do this but it's not too difficult do it yourself if you have only a few spool files to do. But it probably could be automated without too much difficulty using CA/PCS and VB. To do it manually,.. 1) you need a physical file with a record length at least as long as your spool file, eg. 132. 2) Use CPYSPLF to that physical file. 3) Download the physical file to a PC as a text, (*.txt) file. 4) Insert the following html tags, (without the quotes) to the beginning and end of the text file:
     '<'HTML'>' '<'HEAD'>' '<'TITLE'>Spoolfile to HTML or Any tittle you want'<'/TITLE'>' '<'/HEAD'> '<'BODY'>' '<'PRE'>' . . '<'/PRE'>' '<'/BODY'>' '<'/HTML'>' 
    Then save the file as *.HTM, *.HTML. Hope this helps, BORDER=5 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=5>
    Jon A. Erickson

Viking Industries, Inc.

Here's another easy way to do it. 1) Copy the spooled file to a physcial file, copy that file to your pc as a text file. (By the way, I have a tool that will do this and a lot more at href="http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone/as400sw.html">http://prairie.lakes.com/ ~bvstone/as400sw.html .. end plug) 2) Open the text file in notepade, write, or any other word processor. 3) Copy all the test with the Edit|Select All|Copy function. 4) Open your friendly Netscape Gold and create a new HTML document. 5) Paste the contents of the clipboard to it and it will insert all the HTML tags you need. Bradley V. Stone Taylor Corporation href="http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone">http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone "I got this Jookie Sea Captain!" "Arrrr!"

Comment

On Thursday, November 20, 1997, 10:54 AM, David Boring wrote: My first suggestion would be to contact your cable TV company and see if they offer cable-modem access. The problem may come in finding a local POP for DirectPC. ************************************************** ***************** Thanks for the response. I have contacted my local Utica, NY area cable company - Harron Communications. Their reply has been that cable modems will be available in the "near future". When I try to pin them down by asking if we're talking weeks, months or years they then claim to be unable to give me anymore information. What is encouraging, however, is that there are more areas now offering cable modems in Upstate New York. I have a son in the Albany area who was recently able to get one, and I understand they are now available in a number of areas including Elmira, Binghamton, Norwich and Buffalo. At the moment I'm impatiently waiting for their arrival in the Utica area. What do you mean by a "local POP for DirectPC"? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

On Thursday, November 20, 1997, 11:43 AM, Frank Whittemore wrote: Their reply has been that cable modems will be available in the "near future". ************************************************** ***************** "In 1998 we will bring new technology that will deliver two-way, high-speed data services. Our goal is to provide cable modems which will allow customers to access the Internet at speeds much faster than can be achieved through telephone lines. This will be developed near the end of 1998." The above quote is from an insert that came with my current cable TV invoice. I can hardly wait! These forums ought to download instantaneously. Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

I'm surprised to see this is big news there over the pond? I always thought Austria is 5 yrs behind the western world, but the telecable corporation offers 56k connections (i think its 56k, maybe more?) via cable tv lines for a year now. But they charge more than my telephone based ISP and recently announced to charge if you go beyond 100MB traffic / month. I don't like monopolists! Regards, Martin.

Comment

On Wednesday, December 03, 1997, 10:54 PM, John Earl wrote: Cable modems are preety cool from a download capability point of view, but I'm aware of two significant flaws: 1) They only provide download, so you still have to pay for an ISP in order to upload. 2) You end up in a Local Area (ethernet) Network with your geographical neighborhood.... which means that anyone with shareware 'sniffer' software can see what's going on in the neighborhood. This must be the cable companies idea of "Neighborhood Watch" jte ************************************************** ***************** To John Earl - Your first point is incorrect. Note that Harron Communications, my local cable provider said - "will deliver two-way, high-speed data services". For more information use a good search engine such as the one found at www.inference.com and search on "cable modem". Be sure to check out Time Warner Cable's Road Runner service and TCI's @HOME service. With cable modems the World Wide Wait will be history! Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

On Thursday, December 04, 1997, 09:26 AM, Frank Whittemore wrote: With cable modems the World Wide Wait will be history!
              Frank it is fine, that someone is so optimistic than you. I have 256 Kb route to Internet, but during afternoon in finnish time (morning in N.Y.) we can get even 100 bytes/sec over Atlantic!!!
              VALIGN="TOP"> Matti Kujala Ahlstrom Kauttua ltd. HREF="http://www.vn.fi/vn/um/finfo/findeng.html">Finland

Comment

On Thursday, December 04, 1997, 11:55 PM, Matti Kujala wrote: On Thursday, December 04, 1997, 09:26 AM, Frank Whittemore wrote: With cable modems the World Wide Wait will be history!
                Frank it is fine, that someone is so optimistic than you. I have 256 Kb route to Internet, but during afternoon in finnish time (morning in N.Y.) we can get even 100 bytes/sec over Atlantic!!! bgcolor="#C3A44A">
                Matti Kujala HREF="http://www.ahlstrom.com/"> Ahlstrom Kauttua ltd. HREF="http://www.vn.fi/vn/um/finfo/findeng.html">Finland
                Exactly, Matti. Even if you have the world's fastest connection to your ISP, you're still at the mercy of the thruput rate of the Internet, which varies wildly from moment to moment. We have a T1 connection to our ISP, which granted is MUCH faster than any dialup connection I've ever seen, but even if I'm the only one using the available bandwidth, I can't make these forums load any faster than they will. The modems are not the bottleneck on the Internet, it's the Internet itself! Perhaps if all the ISPs in the universe were using cable modems it would help . I've been reading about a twisted pair based technology called ADSL (also PDSL and VDSL?) that is supposed to provide T1 speeds, but the distance between points is limited. Does anyone have real world experience with ADSL, or even any useful information?

Comment

There is a utility that will convert spooled files to html, I think it appeared in a past issue of News400 or Midrange computing. I've attached the source.

Comment

Working...
                  X