Explorer vs Navigator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer vs Navigator

Should an AS/400 shop standardizing on Windows95 on the desktop be using the bundled Microsoft Explorer or Netscape Navigator as they begin encouraging about a half dozen employees to use the Internet and begin thinking about E-commerce? Most of these employees will be using the Internet for the first time. If you suggest Netscape, my next question is why? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Explorer vs Navigator

On Monday, October 13, 1997, 04:36 PM, Frank Whittemore wrote: Should an AS/400 shop standardizing on Windows95 on the desktop be using the bundled Microsoft Explorer or Netscape Navigator as they begin encouraging about a half dozen employees to use the Internet and begin thinking about E-commerce? Most of these employees will be using the Internet for the first time. If you suggest Netscape, my next question is why? You can't stop users from demanding WIN/95. Although I have tried. I actually have the nerve to ask the "WHY?". My reasons for not using WIN/95 center around CA/400 for WIN/95, but there are others. Essentially CA/400 for WIN/95 does not work very well. It never has. The installation of PTFs occurs on a monthly basis, and the support bill for "known" problems gets larger and larger. As far is Explorer vs. Netscape is concerned: There is a "known" bug between IE v4.0 and CA/400 that has yet to be resolved. This conflict will prevent CA/400 from working at all! David Abramowitz

Comment

Explorer vs Navigator

On Tuesday, October 14, 1997, 03:36 AM, David Abramowitz wrote: On Monday, October 13, 1997, 04:36 PM, Frank Whittemore wrote: Should an AS/400 shop standardizing on Windows95 on the desktop be using the bundled Microsoft Explorer or Netscape Navigator as they begin encouraging about a half dozen employees to use the Internet and begin thinking about E-commerce? Most of these employees will be using the Internet for the first time. If you suggest Netscape, my next question is why? You can't stop users from demanding WIN/95. Although I have tried. I actually have the nerve to ask the "WHY?". My reasons for not using WIN/95 center around CA/400 for WIN/95, but there are others. Essentially CA/400 for WIN/95 does not work very well. It never has. The installation of PTFs occurs on a monthly basis, and the support bill for "known" problems gets larger and larger. As far is Explorer vs. Netscape is concerned: There is a "known" bug between IE v4.0 and CA/400 that has yet to be resolved. This conflict will prevent CA/400 from working at all! David Abramowitz We had nothing but problems with Win 95, decided to skip straight to Win NT Workstation, which runs very well for us on our Netware WAN. We use Netsoft instead of CA/400, because we always had problems with CA/400 under Windows in the early days and we've gotten used to Netsoft's ease of use. WRT Netscape vs IE, I use both, tho I've been using Netscape longer. Both are capable of displaying frames and recognizing Java scripts. I think there are more add-ins for Netscape. The newer releases of Netscape include seamless integration of e-mail and newsgroup browsing. I've been less than impressed with MS mail under NT, and it isn't part of IE. Moreover, on a philosophical level, tho we've reluctantly switched to MS desktop apps because of the uncertainty in everything else, anytime I find a viable competitor of MS, I try to support it, before MS takes over the world! I heard a rumor that they had reached an agreement with the Vatican, to release Stained Glass Windows.

Comment

Explorer vs Navigator

About Netsoft, Roy has an excellent point. I've been using Netsoft for about 3 years and it seems to be far better than CA. I've never had a problem with NetSoft. Regarding browsers, I also agree with going with Netscape for the same reasons. Netscape fully supports Java and JavaScript. IE doesn't the same thing to a certain extent(as far as MS will), then MS tries to make it hard work with. A friend of mine, who is a Windows NT/95 network techician goes with Netscape for the same reason. He claims that IE doesn't support JavaScript very well. IE can work, but I prefer Netscape. On my home Win/95 system I have IE and Netscape, but I use Netscape more.

Comment

Working...
        X