Query Management Natively Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Management Natively Available

I am new to the AS/400 environment and did not realize that Query Management commands: CRTQMFORM CRTQMQRY DLTQMFORM DLTQMQRY RTVQMFORM RTVQMQRY STRQMPRC STRQMQRY WRKQMFORM WRKQMQRY are natively available to use with physical/logical files in the QSYS.LIB! This shop uses quite a lot of OPNQRYF, but no SQL/DB2 and STRQM is not available. I did not understand that the Net.Data DTW_SQL LE could work in this environment, so I was targeting use of streamfiles in the IFS. CRTQMQRY and STRQMQRY work just fine! (The AS/400 and SAA Terminology table in the DB2 for AS/400 Query Management Programming is useful to translate the terms for use in the System environment!)

Another hidden gem! The biggest drawback to using the QM functions as opposed to the full blown SQL package is that QM does not send any SQL diagnostic messages. If you have a syntax error in you SQL statement, it is up to you to figure it out.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but I'm curious as to the use of these Query Management tools. I can't use the STRQM command on our system, but I was able to prompt the other CRTQMQRY, STRQMQRY commands etc. Hearing you can pass a parm to a query kind of perked me up. Can anyone help me out and fill me in on this stuff and it's uses? Much appreciated. Mike

Comment

QM is not a freebie. The bad news is that it must be purchased separately. The good news, is that QM is not expensive. Dave

Comment

Working...
        X