AS/400 Mail Service for Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 Mail Service for Outlook

My company is using the AS/400 as a mail server with Outlook 97 & 98 clients. The Outlook 97 clients are using the AS/400 Transport Provider that comes with CA/400. Some of the clients are receiving e-mail from europe with the message and header in an attachment name temp.bin. The file can be viewed if you use the Quick view option with a right mouse click. The conversion setting in the service is set to automatic and the Display internet messages as attachments is un-check. How can I get this message to not be an attachment? Another problem we are having is our Italian office is receiving our E-mail as long lines. They can wrap the lines a view the message on-line, but when they print, it does not wrap and truncates the message. Is there a way to make the mail server wrap long lines? Anthony Anderson Bondioli & Pavesi, Inc.

I have no answer for your first question since I don't know what AS/400 Transport Provider is and why you even need to use it. However, for the second question, this is not mail server problem and I don't think there is much you can do on mail servers. The problem is from the sender or sender's program. It needs to insert a carrier return or linefeed for every end of line. If you use SNDDST with *LMSG, you can use :/P or :/N to break the line.

Comment

Anthony, The Mail Server Framework (MSF) provides exit points that can be used to modify mail as it is processed. If you do wrkreginf, you will see the mail exits. Writing an exit is not a trivial task, but I do have one that you could use as a base. Look in the MSF redbook and the AS/400 Electronic Mail Capabilities manuals for more information. If you cannot find the latter (it is only available in PDF format) let me know and I will send it to you. You could also just call the MSF APIs to format and send an E-mail. I could supply you with code that will do this for simple messages (you will still have to write the prompt and insert the CR/LF in a program). David Morris

Comment

The AS/400 Transport Provider is a Mail Service for Outlook that gets it's information from your Client Access settings. It also provides the AS/400 Directory to Outlook as an address book. It requires practially no setup on the PC side. Unfortunatly, it does not have the set-up options (like wrap long lines) available in Outlook's Internet E-mail service. Most everybody uses Word as their E-mail editor in Outlook, so putting carrage returns at the end of every line would defeat the purpose of a free form editor. I can use the Internet E-mail service in Outlook, but my users would loose their AS/400 address book. Since you can have only one Internet E-mail service defined in Outlook, my laptop users would have to use a different E-mail program to get E-mail from their "out-of-the-office" e-mail account.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I do have the E-mail capabilities book but not the MSF Redbook. Do you know what the number is? Is it on the IBM website? I don't know if I'm ready to create an Exit program just yet. I was hoping someone would have some advice on the proper conversion settings for SMTP and POP3 on the AS/400 and the Client Service provider.

Comment

Working...
          X