DNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS

How can I get the AS/400 to recognize the PC clients by name. I want to setup some applications where data is sent or received from a PC initiated from the AS/400. since we use dhcp the TCP/IP addresses will change. We do have a DNS running on the netork. I have not found where I can add a DNS entry on the AS/400 to tell it where to resolve the name. What I want to do is send a remote command to "MYPC" rather than xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx therefore no matter what the IP address is it will be sent to the proper PC. TIA

DNS

The may be a command to do this but... GO TCPADM Option 1 - Configure TCP/IP Option 10 - Work with TCP/IP host table entries This is where you define the alias's.

Comment

DNS

Would that entry be for the name server? If it is for the client would I need a static IP address for the client?

Comment

DNS

I believe that you would need static IP addresses. It would be for any "device" that you are trying to talk to using an alias. I think.

Comment

DNS

Greg, I have not found where I can add a DNS entry on the AS/400 to tell it where to resolve the name. On my V3R7 machine, it is option 13 from the CFGTCP menu and is labeled "Change remote name server". IBM is not content to call it a DNS like everyone else, so has to call it a remote name server instead. Option 10 from the same menu lets you edit the equivalent of a local hosts table (ala file HOSTS on a Win machine), but with a DNS available you may not want to use a local host table at all. Option 13 (or whatever it is on your release) lets you specify whether the 400 searches the local table first, or the remote table first. Try GO CFGTCP and look for "Change remote name server", probably option 13. Doug

Comment

DNS

Thanks Doug, I am on V4R2 and there is no option 13 or any that reference anything about a remote name server. Do you know if it is available somewhere on V4R2?

Comment

DNS

Greg, Do you know if it is available somewhere on V4R2? Sorry; I don't know since I'm still on V3R7. But I just checked the web's softcopy for V4R2. It had the V4R1 version of the "TCP/IP Fastpath Setup" book, so that presumably did not change for V4R2. According to it, it is still option 13 on the CFGTCP menu. If you are not seeing option 13, you are either on another menu (use GO CFGTCP) or more likely do not have authority to the menu option. That could explain why you had trouble finding it yourself. Get your system administrator to display the menu, and see if s/he has an option 13 for "Change remote name server" Doug

Comment

DNS

Greg, You don't mention what you application does, but it is fairly easy to get the IP address for a workstation job. I will post some code if this would be a viable solution. I am not an expert on DNSs etc, but I do know that in order to get your DNS to help you locate your client with a dynamic address, you would have to add an entry dynamically to your DNS, I have never done this but I don't think it would be hard. This may also be the wrong way of approaching this as there may be other protocols that provide this type reverse lookup support. David Morris

Comment

DNS

I am signed on with qsecofr, i think I will look for some PTF's to see if we are missing any. Can you setup the AS/400 to resolve a name to a WINS server by placing the WINS server entry in the same place?

Comment

DNS

Greg, I still can't get a clear picture of what you are attempting to do but the TCP/IP options were completely revamped with V4R2. You can look in the TCP/IP Configuration Reference to see what changed. Look under "Whats new". This seems backwards to me, unless I am missing something. Normally your static addresses are served by your DNS and you do not need to do reverse lookups on dynamically assigned addresses from the server. David Morris

Comment

DNS

Let me try this again, I may not be using the proper terms: I want to create a program on the AS/400 that will send a command to a PC to initiate a file transfer (either ftp or client access xfer Or whatever) using RUNRMTCMD. The jobs will not be initiated interactively so retrieving the IP address from a user session won't work. I DON'T want to use a static IP address, I want to use the host name, because we use DHCP to assign our IP address and they are constantly changing. Let say my pc's host name is MYPC, if, on the PC, I run PING MYPC I get the replies I expect. If I run PING 'MYPC' on the AS/400 I get "UNKNOWN HOST". If I ping by the IP address on the AS/400 I get the replies I expect. I need to make the AS/400 use our WINS server just like the PC's do. Then I could use " RUNRMTCMD CMD('command goes here') RMTLOCNAME('MYPC' *IP)". This way I do not have to assign static IP addresses, the command will go to the PC regardless what the IP address is. Any better? Thanks,

Comment

DNS

Greg, I do not do much with networks, actually I do as little as possible. Your using a WINS server hadn't occured to me. We stopped using anything that required netbios a couple of years ago because it caused too much overhead. We statically assign IP addresses as required. At home I use all static addresses and only ran the DNS long enough to realize that it was more trouble than it was worth with only a handfull of devices. I would consider using smtp for what you are doing. It won't rely on a fixed address and you can use it to transfer your file via your mail server. Low tech, but it works. If this is something that sounds workable, I could post some setup information (assuming it isn't already set up). David Morris

Comment

DNS

That would be great, I would love to check out that soulution. Thanks, Greg. BTW I could be wrong but I don't believe WINS uses Netbios anymore.

Comment

DNS

Greg, In order to send E-mail without Domino, you will need to get the Mail Server Framework (MSF) up and running. This is easier said than done. The main steps are to configure and start TCP/IP which you have already done. Next configure and start SNADS. And finally configure and start MSF. I have a set of instructions at work that covers most of the steps but I am at home today. The manual "AS/400 Electronic E-Mail Capabilities" is the best source for this information. You can find it by going to the infocenter at: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...o/INFOCENT.HTM and searching for Electronic E-Mail. I just tried it and it came up as one of the search hits. I will be stopping in at work before the weekend, and I will try to remember to forward my instructions to you. If you get a chance send me an E-mail that I can reply to dmorris@plumcreek.com. If you decide to move ahead, you need to configure a gateway entry so that you can use SNDDST to an internet address. The instructions in the manual are ok but I recall that the directory entries can only be added using the commands adddire and chgdire because wrkdire prevents you from entering the appropriate values. I have also had problems if when everything was not correct the first time I tried to send a message. In some cases MSF didn't work until after an IPL. The April issue of Midrange Computing has some instructions on using SNDDST that will get your file name to appear correctly for an attachment. You also will want to create a data area in qusrsys to prevent messages from being split into pieces if they are to large. This applies to V4R3 and prior. I don't remember the name off hand, but it is something like QMFNOSPLIT. I can get that for you also when I am at work. David Morris

Comment

Working...
                            X