Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we access our AS/400 via the Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we access our AS/400 via the Internet?

Our company has many remote users who currently connect to the AS/400 via CA/400 dialup. If we put our /400 on the internet, what's the best way for those remote users to connect then... Telnet or browser-based emulator or something else? Does OS/400 include what we need? Thanks.

OS/400 includes a "free" 5250 Gateway interface to the AS/400. It is easy to set up, but not so easy to use, as keyboard strokes are not allowed. At best it is ergonomically challenged. TN5250 comes with CA/400. Actually any TELNET program can access the AS/400 via the internet if properly configured, but only a TELNET 5250 (TN5250) program will provide proper emulation. The problem here is security. Unless you are on V4R4, you must use Port 23 which does not provide SSL for Telnet. If you are on V4R4 you may use Port 992 which will provide SSL. Another IBM solution is Host-On-Demand (HOD). HOD provides "Through the browser" Telnet emulation. An add-on to this product is called "customizer" which allows for a certain degree of GUI functionality. Some third party solutions:
    1. Webulator from I/Net - A better 5250 Gateway, but still not so pretty.
    2. JWalk from Seagull - Very good, but a lot of set up is necessary. This essentially is a Java front end to 5250 access.
    3. Lansa - see JWalk.
    4. Jacada - This company found a way to use messaging as an interface to 5250 land.
    There are several others. Dave

Comment

Hi Kris, You can set up internet access both directly and indirectly. The 400 can be set up for PPP connections via an ISP just like most servers. Obviously you want to take care with security. For information, obviously see the TCP/IP configuration manuals, but also the redbooks: V4 TCP/IP for AS/400: More Cool Things than Ever, SG24-5190-00 and Cool Title About the AS/400 and Internet, SG24-4815-01 The last dates from 1996, prior to AS/400 PPP capability ( it talks about SLIP, ) but still has good information. With this kind of setup, you can connect over the internet through a dialup ISP and use PC5250 in Client Access. That is, as long as you're connected and using TCP/IP, you're connected like any other client, local, LAN, etc. I'm a software guy and haven't set this up myself, but I have used it to remotely access a client's machine. Performance is pretty good over a 56K connection ( consider that only the 5250 data stream is going across, often less than an HTML page in size. ) With V4.4 and Client Access Express, SSL capability is available. Indirectly ( and this can probably be done with other servers; I'm only familiar with this capability on NT: ) If you have an NT server connected to the internet, which also participates in the LAN ( and so has a route to the AS/400, ) You can configure PPTP and a VPN with Dial Up Networking ( DUNS. ) With this set up, you basically dial up to your ISP, then, once connected, you "dial" ( the IP address is used instead of a phone number ) the NT Server. Once you have the connection, you're again talking TCP/IP and can use Client Access just as with regular DUNS. NT allows up to 256 of this type of connection. VPN and IP filtering allow pretty good security for the connection. From my personal viewpoint, this is a "should be" the way it works, but PPTP has been around for a while now on NT; actually, I'm in the process of working with someone to set this over the next couple of weeks. For more info, go to Microsoft's site for NT and check the Knowledge Base, as well as MSDN. Best, Joe Sam Joe Sam Shirah Autumn Software Consulting/Development/Outsourcing Please Note New Email: jshirah@attglobal.net Visit our User Group at: http://www.jax400.com

Comment

If you would send me your e-mail address, I will get you the following information: A Java-based Web-to-host application that allows SECURE Web browser access to AS/400 applications and Data. No programming required, unique "wizards" quickly produce easy-to-use applets for (1) 5250 Terminal emulation (2) Viewing and/or printing reports (spool files) (3) Database applications. Emil Ratti EDR Consulting edr_consulting@compuserve.com

Comment

Thank you all... Dave, Joe Sam, & Emil... for your rapid and *VERY* helpful reponses. I now have some things to run with. Thanks again. Kris

Comment

I just got my AS/400 on the web the other day..... I used an NT server connected to the net via a 512kb dsl connection, running NT and Winproxy (www.winproxy.com). The NT machine has 2 ethernet cards, 1 for the dsl and 1 for the internal network. I mapped a port on winproxy to the telnet port (23) on the as400. Download SDI's tn3270 (search yahoo "telnet as400") and enter the IP address of the NT server for the connection address and voila! This can all be done for free (on a trial basis) if you have a static IP address on any pc connected to the net.

Comment

Working...
            X