SSL Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL Question...

Does anyone have any examples of using SSL within an RPGLE program? I've written a client program to POST data to a webserver and need to incorporate SSL into it. Specifically, I'm having trouble with the SSL_Init API - what is a keyring file and where do I find it? I've scoured the IBM documentation, but can't find much on this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

SSL Question...

Why are you getting involved with the SSL APIs? CGI programs will use SSL without any impact on your applications. All web servers I have worked with allow you to set security options on the virtual directories that can be accessed via URLs. If you indicate that a particular path is accessable only via SSL, then the server will reject any request that did not start with HTTPS. Having your CGI programs in a directory that can only be accessed via HTTPS means that all data sent to them and sent by them will be encrypted. We have used the Inet web server on the AS/400 for several years. I am not familar with the IBM web server. We are planing a conversion to the IBM server this year. The way we do this with the Inet server is we must load the web server two times. One time it is loaded with a parameter for the unencrypted port 80, the other is loaded for the SSL port. The SSL copy has map statements that point to our secure directories. The open port loading has map statements that point to public web pages.

Comment

SSL Question...

Hi Jim, I need to implement SSL in a client program that will be posting data to our partner's web server. The partner has provided me with a "sample" C program that initializes SSL, connects, creates and negotiates SSL handshake, writes to the port (POST), and then shuts down. I've manage to replicate this (in RPG, because we don't have a C compiler at this time) without SSL and it works fine. My next step is to add the SSL calls, etc. Our server will be responsible for accepting the same type of POST from the partner's system. I agree with your point about SSL and the CGIs, but this would only apply when they (the partner) is posting data to us (correct?). I guess what I'm trying to do is locally replicate the scenario for testing purposes (my client sockets program posts data to my web server instead of constantly testing with the partners). Your comments are welcome!

Comment

Working...
      X