Can I monitor for 'PING'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I monitor for 'PING'?

All - Is there a way that I can programatically determine if my /400 is being 'PING'ed? I've looked at the TCP/IP Connection Status and CFGTCP screens for a clue but have had no luck. Just curious, Steve

I dont know but here is a clue. You can monitor your tcp traffic with STRSST option 3, give the name of the line you want to monitor (eg TRNLINE or ETHLINE) this MAYBE (I don't know) creates a file you can access by a high level pgm. Michael

Comment

Steve, I also havent had time to look into this much for you, but my initial thought would be to: 1. Find a system exit point that gets tripped by ping (not too likely). 2. See if I can get that from the snmp statistics. I think ping is part of the ICMP protocol. Perhaps the as/400 snmp function is already capturing stats for ICMP? There is a nice javabean available from IBM alphaworks that really simplifies getting at the snmp info. You can also download some working java codes that uses that bean to access some snmp info by downloading SysStats from Joe Pluta's website, www.zappie.net. Again I dont know if the host snmp server is gathering this info, but it would be my first place to look. HTH

Comment

Wanted to bring this back up to the top - Is there a way that I can programatically determine if my /400 is being 'PING'ed? I've looked at the TCP/IP Connection Status and CFGTCP screens for a clue but have had no luck. Just curious, Steve

Comment

I think it involves a 'trigger' on a system file; I think I saw it on a german 400 wwww. I'll look .... bobh

Comment

Working...
          X