How to PPP, then FTP to a web site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to PPP, then FTP to a web site?

I am having a problem with PPP communications on my AS/400. I am trying to use the modem on my AS/400 to dial through my ISP(ATT Worldnet) to connect to my company?s web site(hosted by a web hosting company) by using the IP address. Then, I have to download data via FTP to my 400. I've got the FTP part worked out, but how to get through the ISP to the Web site, I don't know. What all do I have to configure, on Operations Navigator, and the 400 itself? Can anyone help me?

Look in the January 2000 issue of Midrange Computing. There's an article in there "Get to the Point with PPP" that might help you get started.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! How do I get the article?

Comment

Thanks for the tip! How do I get the article? Unfortunately, that particular article is not yet online so you can't simply click on it to get to it. One way you can get it is to purchase the Midrange Computing Resource CD. It contains back issues for all the Midrange Computing publications going back to about 1989 or so. You can check it out here . If you already have a subscription to Midrange Computing magazine, you might also try contacting your customer service rep and ask them if they can send you that back issue. Or send an email to: custsvc@midrangecomputing.com and request the back issue there. HTH

Comment

Jim, Do you have the Operations Navigator installed? That is a requirement. From Ops Nav, select your system, expand Network, expand Point-to-Point and select Connectin Profiles. From there you will need to know a lot about the type of connection you are trying to establish, IP numbers, authentication protocols, etc. I haven't ever tried to connect to my ISP from my AS/400, but I suspect it would be similar, with minor differences in just about every case. I have some information I could E-mail to you describing some aspects of this setup. Most of this information came from the help text in the PPP setup screens. You may also have to configure your modem and set some switches. If you are using the modem that came with your system, you will need to set it up for Async. This is usually a switch on the modem. You may also need to change the modem profile. You do that from the same area that you configure a connection profile. Take a look at these areas (if you haven't already) and post back any specific questions. David Morris

Comment

Thanks, Dave! I'll try it and post back with what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X