Bandwidth Speed Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidth Speed Test

FYI, I thought this website would be of interest to a lot of y'all, so I decided to share it along with the narrative that came with it. And for those of you who think that your slow Internet connection is entirely responsible for the occasionally slow response time on this MC Discussion Forum website, well, think again. Right now I am at home connected with a DSL line and it is taking 20 - 30 seconds to load up a page. I am beginning to believe that it is the Domino server that's the bottleneck, not necessarily the connection. Anyway, here's a link y'all might find interesting: http://computingcentral.msn.com/topi.../speedtest.asp How fast is your Internet connection? Visit this interactive page and find out. It takes only a few moments to automatically test your Internet connection's actual speed. Is your 56K modem really delivering 56,000 bytes per second? How fast is your brand new cable modem or DSL connection? Remember that Internet traffic and network congestion can alter your connection's speed from moment to moment, causing each test to generate slightly different results. So it's a good idea to do several tests in a row to get a rough idea of your average speed. Are downloads really slower in the morning, or is it just your brain? You might want to test your speed at different parts of the day. And if you want to find out how fast your connection should be, just consult the handy thermometer diagram, which lists the optimal speeds for Internet connections like cable modems, ISDN, DSL, and T1.

Bandwidth Speed Test

It's not entirely Domino. Remember, each site you go to it takes a different path. The path to the MC forums is different than the path used for this test. (Try a tracert) I'm at work (3 shared T1s) and speed is very good. The AS/400 that these forums run on is a very souped up 170 and highly capable machine, especially if it does domino this good. Of course, when Ive done testing on the same box (RPG programming) and the forums are busy, then it just drags... Brad

Comment

Bandwidth Speed Test

Susan, I very rarely have any response time problems with these forums, this leads me to believe that the bottleneck is not at the Domino server but somewhere along the route you are using to get there. Scott Mildenberger

Comment

Working...
      X