SMTP Performance Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP Performance Problem

The SMTP job QTSMTPCLTP is taking up 50% of the CPU at times. We are at V4R4. Is this a know problem? Also SMTP hung up yesterday. The only way we knew this was e-mails where no longer being received. Where should I see a SMTP error message? I have viewed the SMTP journal QUSRSYS/QZMF. There are errors in it, but I need to know where the list of MSF message id's are. These seem are up to a 32 bytes message id. Anyone else have these problems? What maintance tasks should I perform on SMTP. Should I end and restart the SMTP server everyday to keep it ready? Thanks for the advice, George Bennett www.georgebennett.com

SMTP Performance Problem

George, Do you use AS/400 as your DNS server? If you do, there is a wrong default in front of domain name for MX record that can cause the SMTP jobs to loop and high CPU usage intermittently. To see whether this is the cause of your problem, use Operation Navigator to access DNS configuration. From there check the mail tab for every domain and host property, if you see a *. in front of the domain name, remove those *. characters. Then restart the DNS and SMTP server (you may also need to restart QMSF). The SMTP will continue to loop with the high CPU usage for several hours after restart. This is due to it needs to clear out those mails with wrong host name, but eventually it will back down to normal CPU usage. Shawn Fu

Comment

Working...
    X