Trouble getting site developed with Microsoft FrontPage served by AS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble getting site developed with Microsoft FrontPage served by AS400

I have developed a web site using Microsoft Frontpage. I configured a server instance on my AS400, created a directory for my site on the AS400, and published the site to the AS400 directory. I also placed MAP and PASS statements for each sub-directory that FrontPage created into my config file. So far, I can get the home page to appear when I access the server, however, none of the navigation tables or links appear. Are these features supported on the AS400 or am I missing something? Also, does the AS400 HTTP Server support the Microsoft FrontPage extensions? I'm attaching a copy of the source that is displayed from the home page.

The Microsoft FrontPage Extensions are only compatible with Microsoft IIS. It's a sad but typical MS situation. A wonderful product with a rather high cost (that is, you can't use any other web server).

Comment

MS Extensions don't work one anything but MS. From my experience, Frontpage is great when you start learning web pages, but when you really get into it, you'll want to quickly get rid of it and use something else like Dreamweaver that isn't so proprietary. I was lucky in the sense that I never used FP Extenstions when using FP, but, I did use other things that made converting it to a workable HTML format quite a pain. So, my advice is have fun with FP, learn HTML with it, etc, but don't use it for any real production. Brad

Comment

Bradley, Would you happen to know approximately how much Dreamweaver costs? TIA

Comment

If you are looking at alternatives to MS FrontPage, you might want to consider Net Objects Fusion as well as Dreamweaver. I know several people who build and manage websites for a living, and the consensus is that Dreamweaver and NetObjects Fusion are pretty comparable as far as functionality. These guys give NetObjectsFusion the edge for managing a web site and Dreamweaver the slight edge for creating a good looking website. But they say that they can swap back and forth between them without problems because both products generate "clean" HTML. To a man they ALL agree that they would avoid FrontPage like the plague because of all the "unique" extensions that it creates. I will leave the cost question for others to answer because I don't know. I just wanted to throw another tool out into the discussion. P.S. I took a class in Dreamweaver last February and it was WAY COOL!

Comment

An time you take something from "Slick Willie" Gates outside of WINDOZE you will have trouble and vice versa. Most pros I know use DreamWeaver or the Fusion thing... bobh

Comment

Working...
            X