No announcement yet.

Hide HTML source? Disable Back button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide HTML source? Disable Back button?

1.) Does anyone know of a way to disable the 'View Source' feature when viewing a web page? I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, I want to try it. 2.) How do you disable the Back button when someone lands on your web site? I know this one is possible but I don't know how it's done. Thanks in advance.

Disable the back button? Ewwww. How about having your page start up a new window instead? I don't think I'm alone in detesting sites that make it difficult or impossible to use the back button. Regarding hiding your source code, it looks like it can't be done: href="http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm">http://www.vortex-web design.com/help/hidesource.htm. # 8 of the "Don't do it" list on that page expresses my feelings about disabling the back button better than I can. It also recommends against popping up a new window ... Barbara

Comment

Barbara, thanks for your response. I agree with you 100% about disabling the back button in a browser. I HATE it when websites do that - I feel it's an obnoxious thing to do. I still would like to know how it's done, however. I want to leverage that knowledge to other, more user friendly, behaviors on my webpages.

Comment

1.) Does anyone know of a way to disable the 'View Source' feature when viewing a web page? I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, I want to try it. As Barabara suggested there's not a real easy way to 100% hid the source. But the following Java Script (for Internet Explorer, its different for Netscape) takes away the simple point and click options. (a) Disable the Icons and Action Bar by launching a new window In the Script Area of the HTML
         function LookNoIcons(theLink){ window.open(theLink, "popwin", "width=420,height=320,resizable=no") } In the HTML body  IBM  
        (b) Stop Right Click on the Page to view souce
         document.oncontextmenu = function() {return false;}; 
        2.) How do you disable the Back button when someone lands on your web site? I know this one is possible but I don't know how it's done. TTBOMK this is not possible, but I'm not even a novice with Java Script. Also its annoying since the "BACK icon is the second mostly frequented click location. But you can (a) Disable the backspace key (since this is the shortcut in IE to back)
         document.onkeydown = function() {return event.keyCode != 8 && Event.keyCode != 37;}; 
        (b) You can maniplulate the history
         location.replace(); 
        David

Comment

Thank you David!

Comment

Working...
          X