Data Control Object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Control Object

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but since it deals with HTML and RPG programming, I thought I'd try here first. Is there a method of programming a VB type data control object in RPG IV? What I'd like to do is present the user with a method to retreive a specific customer from our AS/400 database either by typing the customer number, name, or select from a drop-down box. Once the customer is selected, the cust number, name, and full address should appear on the form. Thanks for any assistance.

Data Control Object

In native AS/400 parlance, you would use the Screen Design Aid (SDA) utility to build screens that displayed the desired fields at the desired times. Your RPG program would then handle the logic. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your question, the short answer is "Yes", but the terminology and methodology is different. Dave

Comment

Data Control Object

What I'm attempting to do is develop a web page using the CGI techniques in Bradley Stone's E-RPG book. I see how to recreate most VB type objects such as text boxes and checklists, but nothing refers to the VB type data control. I could probably program the drop down list to present the user with all customers in the master using a loop, but I was wondering if the file could be directly linked with an object(s) on the HTML form. For example, when the user selected a particular customer or typed in the customer number, the customer address and other pertinent info should appear in other text boxes on the form when the box loses focus.

Comment

Data Control Object

Lee, What you try to do can be done with CGI. However, you need to understand the different between client server environment (VB) and the CGI environment. In client server environment, you have persistent connenction which give you more flexibilities to perform data retrieval function as an event occurs. On the other hand, the CGI environmen, which use HTTP or HTTPS protocol, it is a connectionless environment - connect, request, serve, and close the connection. With this limitation, the web programming works a lot like green screen - nothing will run on the server until user sumit a form (hit the enter key) or clicking a link (command keys). In addition, HTML form has selection list, text line, and other. But does not have data control object and combo box like VB. With that in mind, you can program your web page like the green screen, which will have customer number, name, address, and so on... as the input fields. Then provide user with a link for customer number lookup, which will open a new smaller window and call customer lookup program. This program will act like subfile program, which will load a page full of data to display and position to. When user click on a name (link or check box) for the selection, then use JavaScript as part of HTML onClick event to write the selected name, number, and other hidden fields back to the calling window and return the control to the calling window by closing it own window. Othe alternative would be using Java or VB script with ActiveX and ASP from MS IIS. Shawn Fu

Comment

Working...
        X