24x7 Web Site Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24x7 Web Site Implementation

All, I have a mission to implement a B2B web site that require 24x7 availability. I really like to hear from your experience what are best solutions in the following questions: 1) Is there any ISP that can guaranty to reroute the line within minutes not hours in event of comm line failure? 2) What are the requirements and the disadvantages to use two ISP? 3) How do you handle the last mile (local phone company) failure if multi-locations are not possible at this point? 4) Do you use a set of two for every hardware (firewall, router, load balancing equipment, web server, database server. and....)? 5) What hardware and setup would you recommend? 6) Which software (Data Mirror, Lake View, Vission, or ???) has the best reliable and performance to dup and syn the QSYS and IFS file system? Thanks in advance for your help. Shawn Fu

If a phone line goes down due to weather conditions, it is usually all of the phone lines in the area. In such cases, the local phone company will be overloaded, and will take their time before service is fully restored. One of my clients has a T1 less then half a mile from the local phone company headquarters. A bad lightning outage could take us down for several hours. Lines must be physically repaired or rerouted, and all companies in the area are waiting for the same thing. Unless you can serve your site from multiple locations. There is no such thing as 24x7. Dave

Comment

Have you considered the use of a Data Center? Checkout usdatacenters.com JC

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Data center certainly is a good solution. I found one data center in Redwood city CA that use their own TV cable as the backbone and totally bypass the local phone company. Unfortunately, they, like the one you suggested, don't have any data center in southern california. Shawn Fu

Comment

I would recommend you look at some of the products from RADWARE. Especially if you can plan to implement multisite and even more if your clients are in different geographic locations. At a minimum it sounds like you need routers with fallback ISDN capability. Also you may want to develop a simple test tool that will execute dummy transactions periodically to ensure a full end to end service is up. This will help you be aware of issues faster...especially things such as broken DB connections due to firewalls. David

Comment

David, Question about implementing multisite. How do you handle the database issue? Do you have database server for each site? If so, how do you keep them in syn? Or do you just have one central database server for multisite? Thanks, Shawn Fu

Comment

How do you handle the database issue? Do you have database server for each site? If so, how do you keep them in syn? There are mirrored databases on the host side. The default scenario is an entire environment will be switched (i.e all components in the primary site are switched to backup). There are some less critical databases at the application servers. The information in these is currently less critical and will be run either without updates or with a reinstall from previous backup. HTH David

Comment

Working...
              X