Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - we need to connect from the Internet to our AS/400. What software/hardware packages should we look into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - we need to connect from the Internet to our AS/400. What software/hardware packages should we look into?

Pls help us find a good Internet to AS/400 connectivity product. Hi, Everyone! We are exploring options for Web/Internet to AS/400 connectivity. Something that will let users access our AS/400 from the internet by accessing a website & selecting an AS/400 icon or performing a similar action. Preferably a product that displays an AS/400 green screen. We understand Shiva does such a product, but we're not sure what it is called. Does anyone know its' name? And does anyone who has used it have any experiences to share with us? Also, what other products and vendors would be good to look into? If you know of a product to do this, please let us know. We also wish to hear about any pro/con experiences you may've had setting up or using these type of connections. Thank you all, bj

Help - we need to connect from the Internet to our AS/400. What software/hardware packages should we look into?

Look at www.Renex.com

Comment

Have you looked at Host on Demand ? Brian

Comment

No I haven't heard of that one at all. Shawne

Comment

Actually, none. If your AS/400 has TCP/IP configured, and is attached to a network hub, just attach a router or other internet access device to the hub and you can be on the web. Some considerations: 1. Definitely consider a firewall for your network to be protected from harm on the Internet. 2. The router can be used to present one approved Ip address to the internet and use NAT (Network Address Translation) to route the internet traffic to the correct internal network device using a non-routable local address for further protection of the internal network. (i.e. 10.1.1.10) There are other things to consider, but the main point is that there is no additional third-party applications needed to put your AS/400 on the Internet. I am a technical advisor for a .com startup that uses the AS/400 as the primary platform for out web site. If you have additional questions let me know (pmann12@yahoo.com).

Comment

If you want some secure, encrypted, performance, and free, I would recommend the followings: 1) AS/400 VPN if you are using V4R4 or V4R5. Pros: A) AS/400 VPN supports both industrial standard and strong encryption protocols - IPSec and L2TP, which mean it will work with most of IPSec and L2TP compliance clients like Win2000, Cisco VPN capable routers, and other client software like IRE for Win95/98. B) Performance - most vendors would suggest a separated box for the VPN server due to VPN server can really cause performance problem. So far I have not noticed any performance issue on the AS/400, and I am running VPN, DNS, SMTP, POP3, HTTP, FTP, Telnet, and other servers all in one box (170). C) With L2TP, you can access your entire LAN remotely. What it means is you are not only limited to green screen access, you can access your mail server, and any activities you would normally do at the office around the world. D) It supports Gateway to Gateway, Gateway to Hosts, Host to Gateway, and Dynamic IP. E) Best of all, it is free as part of OS. Cons: A) It is kind of complicated to set it up. It requires a good understanding of routing, IP filter rules, and overall knowledge of IPSec and L2TP protocols. On the other hand, it is true for any VPN server like Check Point or Cisco. B) Currently, AS/400 VPN does not support certificate authentication yet. 2) SSL Telnet with C/A Express if you are using V4R3. Pros: A) Provide strong encryption with SSL technology for Telnet. B) It is easy to setup. C) Free as part V4R3. Cons: A) Only support Telnet (green screen) access. No email and other access. Hope this will help you to make the right decision. Shawn Fu

Comment

Working...
            X