Is anyone using HOD successfully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone using HOD successfully?

We have installed Host on Demand. We have a link on our website that our ISP forwards to a Linksys router in our office, which in turn forwards the request to our AS400. We have a DSL line. From our office, we go out to our website (hosted by our ISP) click on the link, it downloads the HOD client, we end up connecting ok. We have yet to get into our 400 using HOD from our home PCs. When we try to do the same thing from our home PC's over a dial up connection, it takes over 30 minutes to download the client, then it asks us to restart our browser. We then get different results. Sometimes it wants us to download again. I actually got all the way to the Session selection screen once (after over an hour of waiting and restarting) then it just hung there. We can't seem to get the SSL piece to work either. It won't connect our sessions if we have SSL checked off on the config. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Lee Ann Korus wrote: "We have installed Host on Demand." Hi Lee Ann, I read recently that IBM had broken up HOD into manageable pieces, but it used to be a 10 meg applet download, which would normally be hilarious but of course it's not funny when it affects people trying to use the AS/400. I also read that one has to pay $7500 for an Advanced version of Websphere to run it. For $4,000, you could get the BusinessLink Strategi web server and it's 100k Java 5250 emulator that works better and faster than IBM's 10 meg Host On Demand. Is the HOD you have the new one that finally supports subfiles? If so, it's supposed to be able to be configured to download only the portions you want to the browser. HTH, Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

From your home PCs, are you using the cached client, or the download client? Dave

Comment

Cached Client.

Comment

We just resolved the problem of why it kept wanting to download every time. The temporary internet file setting in Netscape on one of our home PC's was set at 5000 K. The default in IE on my office pc is 128 MB. So it looks like it was never completing the download. Tonight's experiment will be to clear the cache, make sure the temporary internet file setting is high enough and see how long it takes to do the download. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks again! Lee Ann

Comment

Make sure that the port you are using for SSL is accessible through your firewall. There is a HOD redbook at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com that gives concrete firewall examples. Dave

Comment

After setting the disk cache high enough in Netscape, the HOD download to sign on screen process completed in just under 20 minutes. Any performance or HOD/SSL insight would be welcome. Thanks!

Comment

LeeAnne, I recently installed and began testing HOD on my system at home. On an Ethernet connection, I had to wait a few seconds for the initial install. I will try dialing in and let you know how long it takes. I am using version 4.01. David Morris

Comment

The HOD redbook recommends the Cached client for anyone using a phone connection. they say that the initial load is about 20 minutes over 28.8, so your experiences fall right in line. Fortunately this only has to be done once. Updates can be loaded as they occur. Subsequent accesses should take very little time at all. An alternative would be to use the installed client. This can be installed from a floppy, or a CD-R. The bad news here, is that upgrades would not be available. Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X