Emailing spooled files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emailing spooled files

Hey folks, we're rewriting our customer service programs, and want to have the ability to choose to email a quote to a client. Currently, I'm writing the software to create the printed quote using the AFP utilities. I believe it's possible to email a spooled file, but I don't know how, what software we need to have installed, and what the output will look like when viewed on screen rather than printed on a laser printer. Can anyone help me find a place to start? Alternatively, I'm reasonably certain the 400 (we're running V4R4) can dynamically generate HTML (although I have the sudden feeling that this is a V4R5 enhancement). Would it be better to create and email an HTML document seperately from the spooled file? Thanks in advance, Keith Engle

Emailing spooled files

Keith Were running 4.3 and can do what I think you want. We have a rpg program that creats a html version of an invoice from the spool file. We then can send that via email to our customers. We also send via email reports that have been converted to rtf formats. This rpg program we got from the webb. They look Ok and our users like getting the reports directly to their pc's. Roger

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Keith, We use a product from Gumbo Software called Spool-a-Matic (great name!). It can convert spool files to html, pdf's and a number of other formats. We convert to pdf's and email as attachments. It also supports conversion from ipds/afpds so you can use the boxes, fonts, etc. Bill

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Hello Keith, If you're looking for a commercial solution for emailing your AFP files as PDF or TIFF documents, take a look at our Native Email Report Server/400 product. The software supports automatic and manual emailing of text and AFP files. The product also doesn't require the AS/400 SMTP server to be configured or running. For more information contact me directly or visit our web site to download the Email Report Server/400 software demo or request a demo CD. Regards, Richard Schoen RJS Software Systems Inc. "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts" Email: richard@rjssoft.com Web Site: http://www.rjssoft.com >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hey folks, we're rewriting our customer service programs, and want to have the ability to choose to email a quote to a client.

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Can you give me contact information for that product? Thanks, Keith

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Sounds like what we're looking for. Can you give me more info? Specifically, do you need to have Domino or some server software on your 400, and where can I find info on how to get RPG to write HTML? I'm pretty new to the web application stuff, so any information you can give me or point me towards would be welcome. Thanks loads, Keith Engle

Comment

Emailing spooled files

There is software that PDFs a spool file and e-mails it; www.netshare400.com sends its statements in PDF. bobh

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Attached is a CL and RPG ILE program that does it for us. I got the CL and RPG from I think from MC.

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Attached is a CL and RPG ILE program that does it for us. I got the CL and RPG from I think from MC.

Comment

Emailing spooled files

No we do not need any special hardware or software except what is on the AS/400. You do need a connection from your AS/400 to some type of email server that will send the email. Sorry about the multi post but I could not figure out how to attach multi documents to a message plus I forgot to answer your question. Roger

Comment

Emailing spooled files

The PDFingMailer program Bob refers to looks pretty good. It is only $399 ($599 for nt version apparently?). It actually runs on a Windows pc and connects to your as/400 to read spool files from an outq, converts to pdf, and sends out an email. Pretty slick and inexpensive. If you are looking for a free solution, you could use Joe Pluta's CPYSPLFPDF Java class to convert the spool file to pdf. With a small mod, you could then use my SndJMail utility to send the pdf as an email. Both Java utilities with source can be downloaded from the MC website. I think you could put together a simple Java pgm integrating the two classes in 1-2 days. The result would be a utility you can call from RPG or from your websphere servlets. Just a thought, Alex Garrison

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Try SPLTOOL. It can be downloaded at http://www.bvstools.com/spltool.html If $399 is considered cheap just for a PDF mailer, SPLTOOL and SPL2EMAIL at $179 that can email, FTP, etc... etc.. should be a steal. Brad

Comment

Emailing spooled files

For what it's worth I have used SPLTOOL in a previous job, and it works great. I would expect SPL2EMAIL to be solid as well. Both for $179? Well, SPLTOOL alone is worth that much (esp when you just want to print out page 1499 of that 1500 page report). Bradley: Does SPL2EMAIL run right off the as/400? If so, is it using SNDDST under the covers and hence requires some SNADS config? Does your install do all necessary config? Alex Garrison

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Why pay anything at all? You can download a SNDEMAIL cmd from News/400, or write a similar wrapper for the IBM Qtmsendmail API yourself.

Comment

Emailing spooled files

Peter, I pointed out a free, open-source solution in a prior post. Personally I lean towards Java solutions since I can easily integrate them into my servlets and still call them from RPG. I agree that paying nothing is best, but some people prefer the low maint of a canned solution. Of course the canned solutions usually have lots more features than the free stuff - it all depends on what you need/want. Alex Garrison

Comment

Working...
                              X