Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache server PTF for OS/400 V4R5 now available...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache server PTF for OS/400 V4R5 now available...

There's a few twists and turns in here but the URL for the story we wrote on this is: http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mcn...ws.cfm?mcn=447 Joe Hertvik Editor-Midrange Network Expert http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mne http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mne/subscribe - for **free** subscription to the weekly MNE Alert email newsletter

Joe, Your article includes this snippet: According to IBM, most of the functionality available on the HTTP Server for AS/400----will also be available for Apache Web server instances. I don't get it. Why would IBM introduce a redundant HTTP server, that has less functionality than the existing server? Dave

Comment

Because 60% of the mkt uses the APACHE server for E-Business. I think this is a move in the right direction.

Comment

Joe, Your article includes this snippet: According to IBM, most of the functionality available on the HTTP Server for AS/400----will also be available for Apache Web server instances. I don't get it. Why would IBM introduce a redundant HTTP server, that has less functionality than the existing server? Dave ************************************************** *** Dave, when I looked at the Apache announcement (I don't have the URL, but I found it with a search on "AS/400 Apache" on IBM's site) I saw that they list some things missing which have been touted here - problem reporting and logging options to name a couple - and wondered about that myself, but then saw the extensive wish list planned for 2001. I doubt that there is anything in the current HTTP server that isn't planned to be added to the Apache server. And Apache had a couple of features not available in the current HTTP server, and they can run side by side with each other as well as alongside Domino... and then throw Websphere in the mix which when configured properly handles both the current HTTP and Apache simultaneously, and IBM is integrating Websphere and Domino for the Raven knowledge management system, and... are we having fun yet? Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

I don't see how the market affects the choice of an HTTP server. In terms of sending and receiving web pages, (which is what HTTP is all about)compatibility with other servers is not, and should not be an issue. HTML, DHTML and XML capabilities must be accounted for, and apparantly, they are. OTOH, If the Apache server boasts a robust set of features, that exceed those of the existing server, and IBM declares the Apache to be the server of choice for future enhancements, then, one may decide to "flip the switch" on the existing server. OTOOH, IMO, it seems a simple act, to change HTTP servers from a system perspective. This could have been made a silent, transparent upgrade from one release to another. I don't see the reason or purpose behind the existing redundancy. Dave

Comment

Dave wrote: "I don't see the reason or purpose behind the existing redundancy." Just so IBM could say Apache... because that's the predominant server out there. Is it a subset of what runs on Unix? Is IBM adding back existing Unix Apache features on the AS/400 as they can, or are any of these features new to Apache and will be offered back to the Apache Foundation community? Is IBM jumping the gun to be able to say Apache for marketing purposes or is it really that hard to add any wrinkles they have in the vanilla HTTP server to the Apache code to handle current HTTP protocol the same? If not, how are HTTP servers any different than the Windows variations or the Unix variations or even the Linux variations? (I received an unsolicited open source PostgreSQL database product on a CD-ROM in the mail that works on not Linux, but *Red Hat* linux.) You would think that IBM would have backfilled whatever variations they had going in a vanilla HTTP server into the Apache server and switched over. The fact that they didn't says a lot about IBM and web software. Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

I said: "The fact that they didn't says a lot about IBM and web software." Actually, the differences are mostly administrative and it probably says more about how difficult it is to port Unix C code to the AS/400 as much as anything... (reference PASE doc and how much effort is required, and how none of IBM's AIX development tools run in PASE, therefore requiring AIX to create AS/400 software running in PASE). MC has referred to IBM working furiously on getting a free blown Unix level 64 bit operations going within OS/400... Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

Ralph wrote: Just so IBM could say Apache I sincerely hope that there is more to it than this. I can see some shops switching (from the existing HTTP server), and then getting mighty ticked, because an existing function does not work the same, or does not work at all. Dave

Comment

This is for all you guys who wonder why IBM is moving over to the Apache Server. Before I begin, let me declare that I am not a web administrator, nor do I have any special knowledge on web serving. I will just share with you what I have read on the IBM to Apache move. This move makes plenty of sense: 1. It bucks IBM's image as a "closed" or proprietary solutions vendor. Apache is well known world-wide as an "open-source" non-proprietary product. 2. It could open a huge market for new AS/400 customers. Outside of the AS/400 community, very few people know or care about the HTTP Web Server. On the other hand, Apache is the world's leading web-server application. It's zero-price tag may have been a factor, but many of the Apache web sites are not mom-and-pop operations either. They include the likes of Nike, McDonald's, FBI, the Pentagon, and Yahoo. Now wouldn't it nice for a potential AS/400 buyer to know that his favorite/enterprise web server can run natively in the AS/400? 3. It has a reputation for ability, scalability and reliability. Apache has all the attributes that IBM wants in it's software. It is compliant with the latest protocols, configurable, is easily customized, and implements frequently requested features like multi-homed servers and content negotiation. With over 2 million-plus people using it with the opportunity to view the code, problems are quickly found, solved and posted. 4. The Apache and the AS/400 are a perfect match. Like most popular web servers, Apache is weak at prioritizing user rights. A guy with a $1 order gets the same attention as your local staff or an inquiring supplier. Enter the AS/400 with it's proficiency for defining different corporate and security levels, and then mapping these to levels of importance and priority. Now things become really interesting! Note: Much of the above was lifted from IBM's magazine AS400, page 18-21, January'2000 issue.

Comment

Ricardo wrote: "is easily customized... With over 2 million-plus people using it with the opportunity to view the code, problems are quickly found, solved and posted." Thank you, Ricardo, for the info. The points all stem from it being developed and maintained by open source enthusiasts. It is provided as PTF's on the AS/400 with no mention of source code. The statements in the AS/400 article are quotes from the Unix community. As applied to the AS/400, it appears to be the basis of another AS/400 HTTP Server (powered by Apache though . As IBM has integrated it into OS/400 technologies that don't exist elsewhere, it probably is the best IBM can do as far as system software like Apache goes. Here's the URL: http://www.as400.ibm.com/products/ht...ces/Apache.htm Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

No disagreements on Apache itself, but rather on the implementation. Why not make a migration path, and ensure that all current features work, rather than the method used? Dave

Comment

David, I can only assume that this is a marketing move intended to attract new AS/400 customers who already have Apache (or plan to get Apache). At the moment, a migration path may not be priority issue (although it should be forthcoming). If I have an HTTP server that is already running smoothly, I probably won't have an overriding need to switch over to the alpha version of Apache. Assuming that there are concrete advantages in moving to Apache, I would still prefer to sit back and wait for IBM to further stabilize the code before considering a migration.

Comment

Working...
                        X