Death of Netware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Netware?

IBM Kills NetWare, OS/2 Warp and Domino on the IPCS IBM will withdraw support for OS/2 and NetWare on the Integrated PC Server (IPCS) in two years. The company will continue to support OS/2 Warp and NetWare 4.11 on first, second, and third generation IPCS cards (these used Intel 486-DX2, Pentium 133 or 166, and Pentium Pro 200 chips). IBM intends to enhance the IPCS cards with faster Intel processors with more memory capacity. Neither of these old versions of OS/2 and NetWare will work on the forthcoming IPCS cards; IBM isn't planning to allow NetWare 5.0, which started shipping last week, or the enhanced OS/2 Warp, due in 1999, to run on current or future IPCS cards. As of March 31, 1999, IBM plans to stop selling IPCS cards with 133- or 166-MHz Pentium processors. These are the ones that still support NetWare and OS/2 Warp; IBM has long since stopped selling the 486 version of the IPCS. IBM has also lowered the boom on Domino on the IPCS because it now supports Domino natively on the AS/400. V4R3 is the last release of OS/400 that will support Domino on the IPCS. That leaves Windows NT as the preferred operating system for the IPCS. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The above information was copied from the September 28, 1998 Monday Morning Update by Timothy Prickett Morgan, Editor. As a current LAN Netware user I find this very alarming! What do you think? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Death of Netware?

On Sunday, September 27, 1998, 01:14 PM, Frank Whittemore wrote: IBM Kills NetWare, OS/2 Warp and Domino on the IPCS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The above information was copied from the September 28, 1998 Monday Morning Update by Timothy Prickett Morgan, Editor. As a current LAN Netware user I find this very alarming! What do you think?
    Frank, When I heard this a few weeks ago at a user conference I was very pleased. OS/2 for whatever reason has never been the operating system IBM hoped it would be. Netware hasn't invested the development dollars it needed to keep it's market share and Domino now runs native. Now if they would only make the IPCS cards multi processor the 400 would be one stop shopping............ Just trying to keep up....

Comment

Death of Netware?

I may be wrong, but in reading the announcement, I felt that it was certain release levels of OS/2 and Netware that would no longer be supported, not the entire product(s). David Abramowitz

Comment

Death of Netware?

11/09/99 Hmmm - I wonder if the judge's finding of fact, that Microsoft is a monopoly, will bring new life to Novell?

Comment

Death of Netware?

11/09/99 Hmmm - I wonder if the judge's finding of fact, that Microsoft is a monopoly, will bring new life to Novell? -------------------------------------------------------------------- 12/22/99 An article on page 14 of the December 20, 1999 issue of Computerworld titled "Netware Update Runs Into Windows" could be the answer to my earlier pondering. Here are a couple of quotes - "Even with its Web emphasis, the new version of NetWare appears unlikely to stem the operating system's eroding market share that has resulted from its pounding from Windows, users and analysts said." "But according to Gartmer Group Inc.in Stamford, Conn., sales of Windows NT and 2000 will grow from $6.7 billion in 1998 to $21.8 billion in 2004, while NetWare will ebb from $3.2 billion to $1.2 billion."

Comment

Working...
          X