Network Operating Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Operating Systems

Frank, Why not let the 400 act as your NOS. I am doing this at two sites, and have not found a compelling reason to use anything else. In fact the only NT used at all is a standalone PC that is being used as a firewall. Dave

David - First I must admit that ever since a PC Server with Novell's Netware 4.11 entered our site an estimated 4+ years ago, I've pretty well lost track of what all my AS/400 options are. My site does have a full time PC/LAN guy who looks after the 40 PC based LAN plus a Mac LAN in our Graphics/Creative/Marketing Dept. That said, please give me some additional clues as to where to start looking into the approach that you are speaking of at your two sites. Our Novell Netware Server is in need of replacement. What resources would you recommend for me and my PC/LAN guy to use to get up to speed on letting our AS/400 act as our NOS? How big are the networks that you speak of?

Comment

Neither is tremendously large. The larger of the two is a single processor 620 running V4R5 on a Token Ring. This one box handles all native applications, and
        [*]Print Serving[*]Fax Serving[*]Web Serving - Check out http://www.hinotrucksusa.com[*]Extranet processing (using I/Net's Webulator).[*]DOMINO serving[*]SMTP serving (We do not use the DOMINO SMTP server).[*]Lan Serving, FTP, etc.[/list]There are a maximum of 30 concurrent users at any given time. We are running about 40% of disk capacity, and an average of 25% of memory capacity. Most everyone is using standard MS desktop apps. A few accounting types insist on using Lotus 1-2-3. I create ad hoc stuff with Crystal Reports, and have started to develop some fundamental apps with Domino. I have yet to field any complaint concerning this infrastructure. It works, and works well. Dave

Comment

David - Thanks for your response. Does anyone else out there either agree or disagree with David? Come on now. Join in and make this an even more interesting discussion. You must have a NOS. What is it? Why are you using it and not one of the alternatives?

Comment

Frank. Perhaps a better question might be: What network tasks can NT, or Novell, or Banyan Vines etc. perform that the AS/400 i-series can not? I have posed this question at a few user meetings, and have not come up with a substantial answer. There are certain applications that require part of the software to run from an NT, or Unix server. These applications are not network functions. If you are not using applications that require a different server, why bloat your budget? Dave

Comment

Frank, I can't really do a disertation on the merits/faults of every NOS, so I 'll just tell you how we're set up. We have a 730 400 that is basically the application server; I've never been impressed with the 400's network file serving perfomance plus the disk is wayyyyy too expensive. We are using NT4.0 as our NOS and we use it basically for file sharing and it has been a bit more reliable than the 400. We began with one of the older versions of Novell (3.x?) but I have found NT to be much more admin friendly in the day to day tasks area and even most of the admin areas. Bill > Does anyone else out there either agree or disagree with David? Come on now. Join in and make this an even more interesting discussion. > > You must have a NOS. What is it? Why are you using it and not one of the alternatives?

Comment

Bill - Thanks for sharing! What about the rest of you? Speak up. What are you using for your NOS and why?

Comment

Mostly Windows NT 4.0 and Win 2K. Some Novell lingering around but we're working on removing it. No Linux. Been there, done that, don't want to do it anytime in the near future. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Frank Whittemore" wrote in message news:21ff4746.6@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Bill - | | Thanks for sharing! | | What about the rest of you? Speak up. What are you using for your NOS and why?

Comment

I suppose a fundamental question to ask when undertaking this task might be: What can I do on a Unix, Linux, NT, or Novell server, that I can't do on an AS/400 or i-Series server?? Dave

Comment

> I suppose a fundamental question to ask when undertaking this task might be: > > What can I do on a Unix, Linux, NT, or Novell server, that I can't do on an AS/400 or i-Series server?? Two quick answers come to mind: Share files quickly. Buy inexpensive peripherals (disk, memory, etc.). Bill

Comment

Oh what should my next NOS be? Hmmm - this is a tough one... What to ask Santa for? Microsoft has so much market share. Why not just join the crowd? But I just read that Netware 6 is labeled the "winner" by PC Magazine in its December 2001 issue featuring the 18th Annual Awards for Technical Excellence. But then I picked up the December issue of Inc. magazine and read that Linux is now running on a third of corporate servers. What's an I.S. manager of a small AS/400 shop to do? Life was so simple in the days of the S/32. Any thoughts, references, links and/or clues would be appreciated.

Comment

Bill Robins answered:Two quick answers come to mind: Share files quickly. Buy inexpensive peripherals (disk, memory, etc.). This is correct, but it seems like an expensive road to set up the infrastructure, and necessary personnel, just to get cheaper peripherals. It may be nitpicking, but the question was what can a different NOS do that can not be accomplished by the 400. You can share files, and you can get disk space and memory. The question then becomes one of ROI for the particular circumstance. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X