WAN SNA to pure IP - What options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAN SNA to pure IP - What options?

The 5494 can be attached to a remote AS/400 using the LAN capability of the controller and a DLSw+ WAN link. We currently run 30 controllers with either Token Ring or Ethernet LAN attachments. All on site configurations stay the same. To change from Type 1 we use CAT flood wired sites with RJ45 to Twin ax baluns and Power Star hubs. When the site is upgraded from 5250 twin ax we go to IBM Client Access / Express using DNS to identify the host systems(currently 5 production 720's and 2 mirror 720 systems. Hope that this helps

I am currently serving to a local and two remote sites using 6050 and 5494 w'station controllers. Some restructuring is required which means relocating our main 6050 LWS controller - rather than replace with same (Type 1 cable), our network people want to use fibre/Cat 5 throughout. The remote sites have a limited number (<20) terminals so we want to replace these also. While I believe we can use NetVista/Thin Client/PCs to connent over IP, are there any other viable solutions? Not being stron in comms I'm assuming that our existing controllers are not IP compliant?

Comment

Richard We have recently changed from 9 'local to user' AS/400 to 10 'remote' centrally sited systems. Initially we transfered the twin ax based users on to IBM 5494 controllers on Token Ring LAN, which then connected via our WAN to the central site using DLSw+ on Cisco routers. The use of DLSw+ allows the local T/R LLC to be 'routed' across the WAN The next stage is to ugrade 1200 users to PC's with NT4 Workstation or Win'95 to IBM Client Access/Express (V4R4M0) using irect TCP/IP connections.

Comment

Working...
      X