Need suggestions on connecting remote sites to local AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions on connecting remote sites to local AS/400

Common ways for remote access these days is Via Internet based VPN. Any number of Vendors provide these, allowing from a couple of users to lots. Vendors such as Cisco, Checkpoint, etc. I have implemented Cisco's solution before, on a connection from Hong Kong to Australia, based on a router to router solution. Ran 128K DDS shared ( email etc )service in HK with say 12 screens and 2 printers, 64K ISDN dedicated connection in Australia. Performance was fine, reliability was fine. Except when some fishing boat cut an undersea cable..just slowed a bit until they re-routed. Also, some ISP's better than others. A few Ping tests and tracerts can sort that out though. Few tricks because of the ways CA/400 works - unusual port allocations, but once sorted, works fine. Thru same H/O base router (Model 1720 ), we also connected via laptops from Southern China using the Cisco VPN Client software. Because these VPN's are at the IP Level, not application as such, once the tunnel is going, Telnet/printing/ etc should be oblivious to it. Was with our solution. Green screens work pretty quick over a reasonable speed Internet connection. Even my Dialup from China worked Fine - which did actually surprise me a bit!! This all assumes you can run TCP/IP of course. There may be some things that can be done with Anynet - dont know there. And i think Perle have a 5394 clone that can mix 5250 plus IP over IP networks as well. I looked at that solution, but decided it was cheaper to replace 5250's with P.C's and go all IP. Regards Ian.

Peter,
    We have 42 retail stores that connect to our home office via DSL lines. We pay approximately $89 per month for the DSL connections with speeds ranging from 128k to 384k depending on the local Bell company. Their DSL connection connects them to the Internet and with Cisco hardware at each store and the home office they are securely tunneled to the home office. We don't allow direct access to the Internet from the store, only a tunnel to the home office. Their connection gives them full access to our LAN just as if they were sitting at a desk at the H.O. They have full AS/400 connectivity via CA/400 or Mochasoft's TN5250 and they also have email, sever access, etc. The hardware costs for each store is approximately $3k.
    chuck
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
    I need some recommendations on connecting remote sites to a local AS/400. I have been told they are spending $2,000 a month to connect one remote site to their AS/400. They plan on adding more remote sites but need a more cost effective solution than 5394 remote controllers. The local AS/400 is our only network. We need these lines to be "active" 24X7 so dial up is not really an option. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Peter

Comment

Chuck, You'll have to forgive me if these questions seem obvious, but communications is not one of my strong suits. 1) Does the Cisco router get directly attached to the AS/400? 2) Do you need anything loaded on the AS/400 for this connection? 3) Can this connection still work without using PC's (We only have dumb terminals at the moment)? 4) How secure is this connection (the owner is terrified of outside users getting access to his data)? 5) Do you need a firewall also? Thanks for the help. Peter

Comment

Peter,
        Look below for the responses....
        Chuck, You'll have to forgive me if these questions seem obvious, but communications is not one of my strong suits. 1) Does the Cisco router get directly attached to the AS/400?

No, the Cisco router is connected to your LAN.

2) Do you need anything loaded on the AS/400 for this connection?

Yes. You need to have TCP/IP running on the AS/400. That's all.

3) Can this connection still work without using PC's (We only have dumb terminals at the moment)?

The remote site will need 1 of 2 things. PCs running emulation via TCP/IP. Or, you can get a device that will let you connect twinax devices over TCP/IP. (I'd go for the cheap PC route unless you're talking a big number of workstations.)

4) How secure is this connection (the owner is terrified of outside users getting access to his data)

Nothing is perfect, but this is about as close as you can get without using a point to point solution. Everything is tightly encrypted before it goes over the Internet.

? 5) Do you need a firewall also?

The Cisco router can act as a firewall.

Comment

Chuck, You said the cisco router gets connected to your LAN... Our AS/400 is our only system. We do not have NT or Novell. Can this still work??? Peter

Comment

Peter, 1. You will need TCP/IP running on the AS/400. 2. An Ethernet Card in the AS/400. 3. A small Hub/Switch ( 4/8 port ) : $200-$400. 4. The right Cisco Router and s/ware with the appropriate WIC ( WIC = WAN Interface Card ) for the internet connection eg: ISDN, Serial, etc 5. The WIC cable goes into the Telco socket on the wall from the back of the Router. 6. One Cat5 cable goes from the Hub/Switch to Router 7. Other Cat 5 cable goes from the Hub/Switch to the AS/400 ( you may have Cat5 patch panels in between - depends on your site) 8. You can probably go straight from the Router to the AS/400 ( no Hub), but im not used to working this way. There is TCP/IP configuration on the AS/400. There is Cisco router VPN configuration on the Router. The hardware is pretty much plug and play. The s/ware is NOT a plug and play solution, and needs expertese to setup. You may be able to setup the TCP/IP on the AS/400 ok, BUT you would need a Cisco qualified engineer to setup the Router and VPN. ( not actually from Cisco, but like a CNE or MSCE ). Regards Ian.

Comment

I need some recommendations on connecting remote sites to a local AS/400. I have been told they are spending $2,000 a month to connect one remote site to their AS/400. They plan on adding more remote sites but need a more cost effective solution than 5394 remote controllers. The local AS/400 is our only network. We need these lines to be "active" 24X7 so dial up is not really an option. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Peter

Comment

Ian, O.K., I think I got it. Thanks for the detailed steps and clarification. Peter

Comment

Working...
                X