"Green-screen tax" - How to avoid it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> It's interesting, and frustrating when the name of something is at the tip of your tongue, and you can't remember what it is. > > There has been a myriad of articles recently on a product which circumvents CFINTxx. You'll have to do a bit of searching, but the product is available. Fast/400. Currently in questionable status due to IBM creating a PTF that renders it unusable in its original configuration. They are currently working on a workaround. Bill

Comment

Envoy is Linoma OEM version of PSC400. For those of you who would prefer the technical support of an established firm (as opposed to dealing with me directly), Linoma sells the Envoy product as well as their own Ambassador product. Ambassador is the true client/server version; you can write user interfaces that talk to server programs of any type running on any machine. Envoy lets you get your existing business logic on the web in a matter of days, while Ambassador allows you to start writing true client/server code for future applications. Joe Pluta www.plutabrothers.com

Comment

If the Envoy thing does a tenth of what it is hyped up to do, why would anyone keep on keeping on with green screen. http://www.linomalogic.com/envoy/index.html I just wish they would come up with something for CICS/COBOL for pig iron computers. bobh

Comment

You've heard me over the years talking about client/server and server/client and all the rest. I wrote the book on the subject a year and a half ago, and we've been refining the concepts ever since. What Envoy (aka PSC400) is, in essence, is Windows for the AS/400. That is, what Windows did for DOS, Envoy does for the green screen. The nice thing is that Envoy fixes your applications automatically. There are some drawbacks. First off, it's not free. However, the difference in interactive feature cost alone will often more than pay for the software. Plus you get Internet access and your first steps towards client/server architecture, all for the cost of admission. The second drawback is that it only works with RPG today, and you have to have source. COBOL is in the works, no date scheduled yet. Someday I'd like to remove the source requirement, but that will require some cooperation from IBM, since it would require hooking the SEPT, and I'm not going to do that without IBM's blessing. But other than that, it's a piece of cake. Using our step-by-step installation manual, you can install the product and convert the two supplied example programs in about half an hour (I just did it on a V5R1 machine over the phone this morning). Once you've done that, converting new programs takes literally just a few seconds each. I know it sounds like hype, but sometimes things are as good as they seem. This is the culmination of over three years of effort on my part, and I think it's really all that it's cracked up to be. Joe Pluta www.plutabrothers.com

Comment

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: envoy v. plutabros Sent: 1/17/02 3:28 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: joepluta@plutabrothers.com on 1/17/02 3:31 PM The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. < ns0.utdallas.edu #5.0.0 X-Postfix; Name service error for plutabrothers.com: Host found but no data record of requested type> ???? bobh

Comment

Evidently, DNS servers lost track of me today. Nobody has given me a good reason, but there were lots of red faces. It seems to have been resolved, and you should have no trouble sending mail to me now. mailto:joepluta@plutabrothers.com Joe

Comment

At least it's fixed same day, Joe. Microsoft took 5 days to fix their "DNS problem caused by a technician" outage a few weeks ago. Bill Gates wrote a highly motivational e-mail today to the company on making Microsoft software secure and unfailing enough for it's customers to trust. Very nicely written. I won't comment on whether he had a chance to revise it after it bounced back the first time... Ralph

Comment

Help! How does one avoid the "green-screen tax" in a traditional shop still writing custom RPG code with Interactive edits in their file maintenance programs plus the use of subfile windowing?

Comment

Between getting my teeth cleaned and dealing with the DNS issue, I needed a chuckle, Ralph. Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                    X