Sending email notification when a message arrives in 400 msgQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending email notification when a message arrives in 400 msgQ

You could put a break handling program on the message queue. That program can either: send an e-mail (see other posts here on how) to the person who's msgq it is saying "hey you got an AS400 msg , go look" or it can retrieve the msg details and then send it in an email. HTH Phil

You might also look at purchasing Messenger Plus. They have a component to their pager software that will monitor a message queue and forward the messages to an e-mail address.
    Their web site is http://www.bytware.com
    I am trying to find a method to send a user an email whenever a message arrives in their AS400 message queue. I have numerious users who only use the AS400 to approve purchase requistions. The majority of the time they are using network applications and do not have a 400 session active.

Comment

GLSKEEL - if you find previous posts on how to set this up - please post. I have been trying to do exactly the same thing and am struggling. Thanks, Pat

Comment

Pat, Where are you struggling? Is it with the message queue setup or email? Last January, an article titled "Got a Minute? You've Got Mail! ran in Midrange Computing. If you have that issue, it should help you with the email part. David Morris

Comment

If you're open to a commercial solution, our SMTP/400 Email API has a message queue monitor component.
          You can set up a batch job for one or more users to monitor a message queue and then forward the messages to a selected email address.
          For more info on SMTP/400 and the message queue monitor component, please contact me directly.
          Regards,
          Richard Schoen
          RJS Software Systems Inc.
          "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts"
          I am trying to find a method to send a user an email whenever a message arrives in their AS400 message queue. I have numerious users who only use the AS400 to approve purchase requistions. The majority of the time they are using network applications and do not have a 400 session active.

Comment

Here is an example of a procedure I wrote a while back to capture inquiry messages from QSYSOPR and Email the message to a group of recipients. To start the procedure, do a CALL SYCMQ001, it is hard coded for QSYSOPR but this can easily be changed to an external parameter. SYGMQ001 captures the message, formats it and call SYCMQ002 to Email the message to all active entries in SYPMQMTR. For a list of message type codes, see the on-line help on the RCVMSG command for the RTNTYP parameter. My apologies for the text not being formatted. You would probably have to modify SYPMQMTR and SYCMQ002 to monitor multiple queues, to allow the email to be sent depending on where the message was from. Hope this helps.

mqmtr.txt

Comment

I can capture the messages and format with no trouble. The problem I am having is with the SNDDST command. I get the message that the distribution has been sent but when I look in the job log I have routing errors. I have followed all the instructions for setting up the SMTP gateway and I can ping the mail server. The mail router is correct in the SMTP attrributes, I have the correct directory entries. SMTP is started but I can't get any firther without errors. Pat

Comment

Do you have your email server listed in your host tables? Then you have to make sure that you email user ID's are the same as you AS/400 ID/s so that it can find the correct person to email.

Comment

Comment

That was the problem - WOW is my face red! Thanks for your help - the 400 is e-mailing smoothly now. Pat

Comment

Additional question

Originally posted by dchristie View Post
                      Here is an example of a procedure I wrote a while back to capture inquiry messages from QSYSOPR and Email the message to a group of recipients. To start the procedure, do a CALL SYCMQ001, it is hard coded for QSYSOPR but this can easily be changed to an external parameter. SYGMQ001 captures the message, formats it and call SYCMQ002 to Email the message to all active entries in SYPMQMTR. For a list of message type codes, see the on-line help on the RCVMSG command for the RTNTYP parameter. My apologies for the text not being formatted. You would probably have to modify SYPMQMTR and SYCMQ002 to monitor multiple queues, to allow the email to be sent depending on where the message was from. Hope this helps.

mqmtr.txt
                      Dear D.Christie !
                      It's very great utility - the only question I am kindly asking to you is -

"Which exactly way you distinguish in this utility between Inquiry messages being replyied and other inquiry messages that NOT HAD BEEN replied still ?"

I tried to figure it out, but couldn't. Please if somebody knows tell me

Comment

Working...
                      X