Crystal Reports & AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal Reports & AS/400

Looks like you are headed in the right direction. I would recommend exporting the report to a PDF or a Domino database (If you are using Domino), or an Excel Spreadsheet, or a MS Word document, and then using STRPCCCMD to point to one of these documents. It makes it easier for users to give them an application that they are familiar with, rather than throwing them into CR. One interesting feature of CR is the parameter field. A not so distant comparison would be running a QRY/400 query with SELECT(*YES). I find CR extremely powerful, but I only use it for "special", or ad-hoc reports. I do not currently use CR for production purposes, because my client does not have a site license, and there are relatively few users who would feel comfortable with CR on their desktops. I would recommend experimenting with the different kinds of reports, and report functions. If your company has data that can be kept statistically by geographic are, try creating a CR Map. Do not go crazy with graphs. They should be used sparingly, and only when they are meaningful. Using the right graph for the right purpose is important. Another nice feature of CR is the ability to create a level break just about anywhere (e.g. Total breaks at AA through CC; CD through OQ; OR through ZZ). Combining variegated databases to come up with a single report is another nice feature. For instance you can link an AS/400 file to an MS Access DB, etc. While there is a lot you can do, there is also much tath still requires programming and data manipulation that is not available in CR. Rather than spend hours trying to make things work in CR, you are probably better off writing a simple RPG program that will accomplish your goals. Pick the right tool for the right job, and you will be a winner. Dave

Crystal Reports & AS/400

David, Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your input ! Let me just add, one of the reasons why I am looking at Crystal Reports is to see if we can create a "document" using Crystal. We are currently using OV/400 for our documents which contains many conditional text and data/text merge. While we are testing DTM/400 (which is the product that will replace OV/400), we also want to make sure we have explore all of our options. Julie

Comment

Crystal Reports & AS/400

You can create form letters using CR, and you may further create a merge with AS/400 data, , , , , but....... It's probably not the best tool for the job. MS Word, or any other ODBC compliant word processor would function better for this purpose. Dave

Comment

Crystal Reports & AS/400

Hi All, I have the CL code attached, it calls CRYSTAL REPORT from the AS400. My CL program is not displaying the output. Where did it go? Do I have to Overide the PRINT file ? Any suggestions is very much appreciated. TIA.
        Code

Comment

Crystal Reports & AS/400

I am new to using Crystal Reports ! I have created a report, compiled it and I was able to using the strpccmd to run the report from the AS/400. Can anyone give me some tips on how I can now run the report, without having the print window in Crystal displayed ?? Do I have to change something on my report ? or do I have to pass it parameters ?? I am just starting to looking into using Crystal Reports, eventually I would like to submit Crystal reports from our 400 applications. Can someone give me any tips ?? or point me to the right direction ?? I would appreciated... thank you ! Julie

Comment

Working...
          X