Programming C++ on V5R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming C++ on V5R1

If you go to the following web site support page, you will find tutorials and documents. http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400/

Programming C++ on V5R1

Thank you for your answer. I found several tutorials and documents on this server. But unfortunatelly they all discuss RPG or JAVA. Does this mean nearly nobody is programming C/C++ on the AS/400? Why let they die Visual Age for C++ for AS/400 and do not show a way how to continue developing in C++. Is there another way to programm C++ on the AS/400 with a windows Based frontend? Or is there a tutorial coming to show how to programm C++ with CODE/400. The tutorial is good to see how to install CODE/400 and how to get it running and how to compile single files to a programm. But I saw no answer on how to compile a whole project with several files. And I think this would be the normal way. In which way do you programm C++ on the AS/400? Greetings, Alex haklui@ca.ibm.com wrote:
    If you go to the following web site support page, you will find tutorials and documents. http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400/

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Alex I agree. We do lack of this kind of tutorials for C/C++ programming, and I will convey your suggestion to our publications team. Basically, starting V5R1, C++ compiler for AS/400 is a native compiler. That is, you have to compile a C++ program using native AS/400 commands CRTBNDCPP/CRTCPPMOD, just like the RPG or Cobol compilers. It means that all your C++ source must reside on AS/400. CODE/400 provides functions for you to access your source on AS/400 from your workstation. You can edit, compile and debug your C++ program using CODE/400. To learn CODE/400, I think you can at least start with those download tutorial and lab exercise. There are also information in the publications "ILE C/C++ Programmers' Guide" and "ILE C/C++ Compiler Reference" of how you can develop C/C++ programs in the V5R1 environment using ixlc from the command line of a Windows client. You can check for the iseries on-line publications at the following site: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/a...2924/index.htm. Hope this will help a little bit.

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

haklui@ca.ibm.com wrote: > > Alex > > I agree. We do lack of this kind of tutorials for C/C++ programming, and I > will convey your suggestion to our publications team. > > Basically, starting V5R1, C++ compiler for AS/400 is a native compiler. > That is, you have to compile a C++ program using native AS/400 commands > CRTBNDCPP/CRTCPPMOD, just like the RPG or Cobol compilers. It means that > all your C++ source must reside on AS/400. CODE/400 provides functions for > you to access your source on AS/400 from your workstation. You can edit, > compile and debug your C++ program using CODE/400. > Sorry if this does not apply to CODE/400 (I am unfamiliar with it), but it may be worthwhile to point out that the program source can reside in IFS "stream" files vs database physical file. The SRCSTMF() parameter of CRTCPPMOD (for example) can be used to specify the input source. Then a PC network drive can be mapped to the IFS directory to access (eg edit) the source file from the workstation. The IFS Intro has concepts, etc: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...rzaaxmst02.htm -- Karl Hanson

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Thank you very much for your answers. I think this will help me to get further. Alex Karl Hanson wrote: > haklui@ca.ibm.com wrote: > > > > Alex > > > > I agree. We do lack of this kind of tutorials for C/C++ programming, and I > > will convey your suggestion to our publications team. > > > > Basically, starting V5R1, C++ compiler for AS/400 is a native compiler. > > That is, you have to compile a C++ program using native AS/400 commands > > CRTBNDCPP/CRTCPPMOD, just like the RPG or Cobol compilers. It means that > > all your C++ source must reside on AS/400. CODE/400 provides functions for > > you to access your source on AS/400 from your workstation. You can edit, > > compile and debug your C++ program using CODE/400. > > > > > Sorry if this does not apply to CODE/400 (I am unfamiliar with it), but > it may be worthwhile to point out that the program source can reside in > IFS "stream" files vs database physical file. The SRCSTMF() parameter > of CRTCPPMOD (for example) can be used to specify the input source. > Then a PC network drive can be mapped to the IFS directory to access (eg > edit) the source file from the workstation. > > The IFS Intro has concepts, etc: > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...rzaaxmst02.htm > > -- > Karl Hanson

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

We've also just gone to a new 400 with V5R1 and WDT, and it's EXTREMELY frustating to try to deal with the lack of knowledge about C/C++ development on the 400, and I'm talking about within IBM. I asked this same question of the IBM support group and was told the same thing (that there is no longer a solution for cross compilation from windows to the 400). This just isn't true. If you install CODE 400 on your PC you will have the ability to run ixlc from windows. This seems to be a java front end to the native c/c++ compiler, which I have to admit, doesn't sound like a very good idea. I'm having a lot of problems, because the new compiler doesn't work ANYTHING like the old one, nor does it work like C/C++ compilers on other platforms, but it IS there. -Kelly Hickel wrote in message news:9r4df1$ub8$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > Alex > > I agree. We do lack of this kind of tutorials for C/C++ programming, and I > will convey your suggestion to our publications team. > > Basically, starting V5R1, C++ compiler for AS/400 is a native compiler. > That is, you have to compile a C++ program using native AS/400 commands > CRTBNDCPP/CRTCPPMOD, just like the RPG or Cobol compilers. It means that > all your C++ source must reside on AS/400. CODE/400 provides functions for > you to access your source on AS/400 from your workstation. You can edit, > compile and debug your C++ program using CODE/400. > > To learn CODE/400, I think you can at least start with those download > tutorial and lab exercise. > There are also information in the publications "ILE C/C++ Programmers' > Guide" and "ILE C/C++ Compiler Reference" of how you can develop C/C++ > programs in the V5R1 environment using ixlc from the command line of a > Windows client. > You can check for the iseries on-line publications at the following site: > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/a...2924/index.htm. > > Hope this will help a little bit. >

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Kelly Hickel wrote: > We've also just gone to a new 400 with V5R1 and WDT, and it's EXTREMELY > frustating to try to deal with the lack of knowledge about C/C++ development > on the 400, and I'm talking about within IBM. > > I asked this same question of the IBM support group and was told the same > thing (that there is no longer a solution for cross compilation from windows > to the 400). This just isn't true. If you install CODE 400 on your PC you > will have the ability to run ixlc from windows. This seems to be a java > front end to the native c/c++ compiler, which I have to admit, doesn't sound > like a very good idea. I'm having a lot of problems, because the new > compiler doesn't work ANYTHING like the old one, nor does it work like C/C++ > compilers on other platforms, but it IS there. > > -Kelly Hickel > By "cross compilation", the support group person may (?) have been thinking of the VAC++ method of having the compiler front-end run on the client, producing intermediate w-code, while the compiler back-end runs on the server (iSeries, AS/400), translating that w-code into machine instructions. I'm not familiar with ixlc, but if it is as you say - a front end to the native compiler - it does not seem like a cross compiler. That is, the entire compilation runs on the server, from syntax checking to production of machine instructions. For specific compiler problems/questions, you might try posting to another newsgroup, such as comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc ... or perhaps ibm.software.cpp.os400 There may be a wider audience of C/C++ expertise than on this newsgroup(?) -- Karl Hanson

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

"Kelly Hickel" wrote in message news:9umjmu$s8u$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I'm having a lot of problems, because the new > compiler doesn't work ANYTHING like the old one, nor does it work like C/C++ > compilers on other platforms, but it IS there. Um - it works the same as the AIX compiler - in fact it _is_ the AIX compiler and I assume the same one IBM uses on Windows etc. as well.

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

I`m using Visual Age for C++ for AS/400 3.5 on Windows 2000 to write my C++ Programms on the AS/400 (V4R5). We are now going to V5R1 and there is no Visual Age C++ anymore. I have read that the new way programming C++ on the AS/400 is the CODE/400. Is that right? And is there a way to get the VACPP Projects to CODE/400. Has anyone experience with that or can anyone tell me a better way programming C++ on V5R1? Is there any tutorial like `Getting started with C++ and CODE/400`? Thanks for all comments Alex

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Where do I find ibm.software.cpp.os400? I subscribe to some ibm.software groups on IBM's news server at news.software.ibm.com, but cpp.os400 isn't one of them.

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Well, not, I don't believe that it is the AIX compiler, since it's obviously written in Java, and the AIX one is not, the native AIX compiler is named xlc, not ixlc. -Kelly "Jon Paris" wrote in message news:9vvps6$1fo6$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > "Kelly Hickel" wrote in message > news:9umjmu$s8u$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > I'm having a lot of problems, because the new > > compiler doesn't work ANYTHING like the old one, nor does it work like > C/C++ > > compilers on other platforms, but it IS there. > > Um - it works the same as the AIX compiler - in fact it _is_ the AIX > compiler and I assume the same one IBM uses on Windows etc. as well. > >

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Ken Rokos wrote: > > Where do I find ibm.software.cpp.os400? I subscribe to some ibm.software groups on IBM's news server at news.software.ibm.com, but cpp.os400 isn't one of them. I am subscribed to it via news.software.ibm.com server .. there does not appear to be much recent activity, but I see about 120 posts on it. Can you retry listing the newsgroups on the server? -- Karl Hanson

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Well the guys who developed it in Toronto told me that it was the AIX compiler and that is why you have to have PASE to run it. The C and C++ compilers are the same. It may well be that they have front-ended it with Java, but I doubt even the most ardent Java supporter would consider it a suitable language to write a C++ compiler in. I'll see if I can get one of the developers to "drop in" here. As to the name being ixlc - I would say that hints that it _is_ the same. The "i" indicating the iSeries version! "Kelly Hickel" wrote in message news:a03984$e28$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > Well, not, I don't believe that it is the AIX compiler, since it's obviously > written in Java, and the AIX one is not, the native AIX compiler is named > xlc, not ixlc. > > -Kelly

Comment

Programming C++ on V5R1

Further to my previous note I've been able to get hold of one of the Toronto developers of the C/C++ compilers and here is the response I got. Hope it helps clear things up for you. "The C & C++ compilers are the same code base on all (OS390, AIX, & OS400) platforms. There's only 1 C/C++ compiler in IBM. Now having said that, it is still compiled with system specific settings, and does have alot of unique stuff for each platform. The most obvious for the 400 is Teraspace. Mixing Teraspace and non-Teraspace objects is only allowed on the AS/400, and because of this and some other options, I can understand the confusion. But the fact remains, if a bug is reported on the 390 for a common piece, the 400 gets the fix aswell. (by the way, all the C++ and IOC runtimes are also shared across all platforms)." For people who previously used VAC++ or who would like to use Code/400 for their C and C++ compiles the following may be useful. "In the C/C++ programmer guide, you'll notice references to a tool called "ixlc" and "ilink". Originally, these Windows executables were called "iccas", which was the cross compiler. These new interfaces are shipped with CODE/400 (check your WDT400 root directory). These tools allow the user to keep source on the PC, and continue to use their original make files etc... All they need to do is now call "ixlc" instead of "iccas".

Comment

Working...
                            X