CODE Designer PF field lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CODE Designer PF field lengths

I have three questions on CODE Designer. I'd appreciate any kind of help. 1.When I open up an existing PF source(originally created on AS400) with a field that has length 9000(say), CODE changes the length of the field to 3564 by itself when I open the field properties. Is it because the CODE doesn't support fields that long? 2. How could I define a Binay field of length say 18? If the DDS and DB2 AS400 supports these, how come CODE doesn't? 3. When the PF already exists in the target library, when I try to compile from Designer, it gives an error message saying File in Target already exists. I looked at virtually everything that has something like Replace(*Yes) but has been unsuccessful. I found similar setting for Programs and it works fine but not for Files. Please help me. Thanks, Nandoo, Software Systems Engineer, Countrywide Home Loans.

Hello Nandoo, Can you send me DDS segments that show the "before" and "after" for #1 and an example of #2 and I'll look into it. I'll ask about #3 on Monday, that would be something in Program Generator that Designer would call to do the compile on the host. Kind regards, Mike neerukonda@sbcglobal.net@sbcglobal.net wrote: >I have three questions on CODE Designer. >I'd appreciate any kind of help. > >1.When I open up an existing PF source(originally created on AS400) with a >field that has length 9000(say), CODE changes the length of the field to >3564 by itself when I open the field properties. Is it because the CODE >doesn't support fields that long? > >2. How could I define a Binay field of length say 18? >If the DDS and DB2 AS400 supports these, how come CODE doesn't? > >3. When the PF already exists in the target library, when I try to compile >from Designer, it gives an error message saying File in Target already >exists. I looked at virtually everything that has something like >Replace(*Yes) but has been unsuccessful. I found similar setting for >Programs and it works fine but not for Files. > >Please help me. >Thanks, >Nandoo, Software Systems Engineer, Countrywide Home Loans. >

Comment

Greetings! I have not looked into the first 2 questions, but on the third: >3. When the PF already exists in the target library, when I try to compile >from Designer, it gives an error message saying File in Target already >exists. I looked at virtually everything that has something like >Replace(*Yes) but has been unsuccessful. I found similar setting for >Programs and it works fine but not for Files. The replace option is a function of the compiler command. If you look at the native AS/400 commands, the CRT (insert bound, rpg, cobol, cl, etc.) have a replace option. The CRTPF does not have this prompt. IBM in their infinate wisdom, has determined that you don't want to wipe out a file that might contain live data with a single compile command. THEY DON'T TRUST US PROGRAMMERS! and with good reason. To replace a file, you must take cognitive action to move/delete/rename the file before you get to compile it. This covers both IBM's and your butt when the production data gets trashed. Regards; Jim Essinger Senior Programmer/Analyst Student Loan Fund of Idaho esinger NOSPAM @ fmtc . com 208-452-4068

Comment

Working...
      X