Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the new WebFacing tool the first step to Web enablement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David, As I understand it from what's been published from IBM, it does not require WS Advanced, only WS Standard, so there are no extra costs that I'm aware of (short of a H/W upgrade to run WS, if you need one). Also, as mentioned in this thread, it is a _beta_ product and a work in progress. However, IBM won't keep the lid on it forever. Brian Singleton Midrange Computing

Comment

Brian Singleton wrote: IBM won't keep the lid on it forever IBM usually does a pretty good job keeping the lid on. However, in this case, not only is the lid off, but there are so many holes in the head, that when the wind blows you can hear a calliope! I will be attending an IBM "Iseries/400 executive briefing" tommorrow at the IBM Palisades Executive Center (breakfast included). The main topic is web-enabling tools for the 400. The published sub-topics are:
        [*]Host on Demand[*]Host Publisher[*]Websphere Application Server[*]Websphere Commerce Suite[*]VAJ[*]Domino Designer[*]MQ Series[/list]Conspicuous by its absence in Web-facing. You already know the questions that I will be asking. I will also be paying attention to the other attendees to see if they have even heard of Web-facing as yet. Dave Dave

Comment

I am playing around with the web facing tool (V5R1...websphere 3.5). I have built a small project. How do I test and run it. This Iseries box has never really been configured for the web. From Green screen i did a STRHOSTSVR *ALL. When I looked in OP. Nav. I saw the web facing server was stopped. I tryed starting it from there but it didn't work. Can anyboby point me in the right direction.? Is anybody actually using this in any kind of production work? IBM seemed real high on this at COMMOM but I get the feeling that its still in "BETA"

Comment

The converted host applications will support both a 5250 and a Web interface. Will the web interface be better than the 5250 interface? Will most users prefer it? Or will it be something akin to the interface provided by Workstation Gateway. From what I have seen, Webfacing is a true GUI, and not anywhere near as kludgy as WSG. For instance, you can use cascading style sheets to set a pattern for your screens. OTOH, there are still too many DDS keywords that are not yet supported for this to work in a production environment. Dave

Comment

Is there some trick to "running and testing" objects created in webfacing? I'm not really sure I want to invest much time until I'm sure it performs reasonably well. Webfacing created me a simple HTML with a link to my COMMAND. But I can't get it to run. According to OPER. NAV. the webfacing server isn't started. When I try to start it, it "STOPS".

Comment

Bill, Before you get the WF server to run, you must be ABSOLUTELY current on ALL PTFs, and I do mean ALL. Apply the latest cume tape and then the DB group, the Java group, the HTTP group; all of them. Make sure that your WAS console is at the same fixpack level as the WAS server on the iSeries (i.e. 3.5.6 iSeries means fixpack 6 on the PC.) Once that's in place, you need to start the HTTP server and the WebFacing server, then start WAS. STRTCPSVR *HTTP HTTPSVR(your_server) STRTCPSVR *WEBFACING Start WAS by starting the subsystem and then going to the PC and starting up the server instance you configured. --buck

Comment

I just read the latest edition of the iSeries Developer Directions newsletter, which is also available on-line at:

href="http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/developer/comm/newsletter.html">http:// www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/developer/comm/newsletter.html

There was an article on page 20 about IBM's new WebFacing tool, by Dave Slater, World Wide Market Manager, iSeries Application Development.  Frankly, the article left me with several questions.  These are pointed questions.  They are not meant to question the sincerity of the author, just to lead toward a clearer understanding.  Excerpts from the article are italicized, etc.

Analysts asked why we were giving away a tool for which many competitors were charging a premium price.

Does IBM consider its Business Partners to be its "competitors"?  Jacada, for example?

The reason is that we believe in Java programming and e-business as the future of iSeries, and we want our Business Partners to have access to the best tools available for application development.

Bottom line, is the reason for giving the tool away, an incentive to current customers to buy new hardware, to support the additional resource requirements of Java?  Or is it so Business Partners can build better applications?  Will the applications be better?

Many analysts have mistaken the WebFacing tool as a 5250 data-stream conversion tool.

Really?  Is that because the IBM Workstation Manager interfaces with Java Beans and JSPs that convert I/O coming from and going to the 5250 application to I/O going to and coming from a web browser?  Or is it because a 5250 data-stream has a more narrow definition?  If so, is it relevant?

The converted host applications will support both a 5250 and a Web interface.

Will the web interface be better than the 5250 interface?  Will most users prefer it?  Or will it be something akin to the interface provided by Workstation Gateway.

This is NOT a dead-end conversion process, but rather a step towards vital e-business applications.

Is this to imply, that the converted applications should be replaced with something different in a subsequent step?  Is WebFacing a stop-gap solution?

Most of the common DDS keywords are supported.  Simple business applications, that use these supported DDS keywords, can be converted and ready for further customization within a couple of hours?

Would most business applications fall within this category?  Many?  Ok, a few?

The performance of the Web interface is comparable to the 5250 interface (assuming your system has been sized to handle the workload associated with WebSphere Application Server).

Really?  How much CPU time is used in the Web interface, vs. the 5250 interface?

Nathan.

Comment

Working...
                X