AS/400 and Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 and Java

As you learn, you will find that OS/400 (The OS of the AS/400) does a lot for you, particularly in database technology, that must be manually programmed in NT or Unix. Working with JAVA, you will not use the native side of the AS/400 very much, but you will be working on a platform that has used 64-bit hardware and software for the past seven years! You will hear about the single-level store that treats core, and disk space as one huge piece of memory. You will hear about security features, and the fact that there's never been a virus on the native side of the AS/400. There are over 1,300 commands in the command set and each command conforms to a naming convention. There is extensive help for each command, and for each parameter of each command. You will never have to worry about things like "buglists" in the "MAN" pages. On the downside, you will hear about the lack of a native GUI, but if you're working on web development, or client side development, you need not be concerned with that. You will certainly find that there is some differences in JAVA programming, but most of your programming efforts will be just about the same as they always were. Dave

AS/400 and Java

Hi David, ...you will find that OS/400 (The OS of the AS/400) does a lot for you, particularly in database technology, that must be manually programmed in NT or Unix. Can you provide some examples? Thanks. Chris Ringer

Comment

AS/400 and Java

I wish I had the link to the IBM web site that displayed a comparative task list between DB2/400 and Oracle. The things I can say from the top of my head is space allocation; path allocation; fine tuning; etc. The actual list was much longer. Dave

Comment

AS/400 and Java

Hi I am new to this site and I appriciate if some one can answer my question. I have good exp. of Java in Unix and NT/95. I have developed application involving servlets, EJBS using Vis java. Now I may be working on AS400 for developing java applications. I do not have any knowledge of AS400. I want to know how difficult it is. Please post your exp. and how java development in AS400 is different from Nt/95, Unix etc.. Thanks Venu

Comment

AS/400 and Java

DB2/400 offers the best JDBC support of any commercial database in the world, so the database environment is ideally suited to Java.

Comment

Working...
          X