command environment calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• command environment calls

I'm not quite sure just what the situation is. Could you post some code? What is the length of Time between Failure -- minutes, hours or what? Bobh

It's not a matter of time it's a certain number of iterations. I haven't counted them exactly but I can run the functions and when the STDOUT file gets to a certain number of pages the error occurs. The number of pages depends on the trace and number of say staements we have in it to gather information. For a short term fix I am counting these iterations and "restarting" the function when it gets to 501. This avoids whatever is occuring. The REXX code calls RPG prgrams and 2 API's, QSNDDTAQ and QRCVDTAQ, the error manifests itself in errors when these are called, it can't find the Q's one time and a program the next. It seems at the moment that the string passed to the Command environment is bad or the command environment has a problem.

Comment

If you are dealing in REXX get a copy of REXXTRY running and type in say address() On the 400 this should return COMMAND If not, there is some other problem. bobh

Comment

I have already checked that using a say address throughout the code and it returns COMMAND with iteration right up to the failure. Thanks

Comment

could you post some of the code involved? bobh

Comment

I have to run some more tests using less complex code to isolate the problem. I will post the code at that time provided I ever get the chance to do it. In the meantime I have averted the issue by counting iterations and restarting the program at 500. thanks for your interest

Comment

Does the REXX program ever hit an EXIT command. bobh

Comment

yes in 2 conditional cases, there is a QRCVDTAQ that the program issues waiting for 15 minutes. If the 15 minutes passes without any entries being placed on the dtaq it will exit, this is done to close open files. After exiting the Rexx program is started again and waits for an entry on the same dtaq.The second case where it exits is from a Syntax error routine.

Comment

Does the REXX program have the statement: EXIT; in it. A rexx module has to end with either an EXIT or RETURN statement, else it gets tangled up bobh.

Comment

In both cases described an EXIT statement is used.What do you mean by "tangled" , can you provide any details ?Thanks

Comment

I'm not at a 400 right now; but I remember, if REXX is a CPP and does not end properly, it leaves no trail. Is the command running in batch/online? You could turn trace on to see where it's going. bobh

Comment

The RE XX is a CPP executed in a CL that is an Auto start Job. I have used Trace to get where I am now, I used TRCREX in the CL with *Results and could see what was happening but not exactly why. The RE XX sends 4 or 5 strings to the Command environment over and over again in oh course of processing. As I said earlier these commands work just fine for X number of times and then on X + 1 they fail, it doesn't fail on the same string each time either. One time the error is that it can't find a dtaq another it can't find a program. In each case it can't find what it has used in hundreds of previous invocations.

Comment

Did you ever get a resolution on this? bobh

Comment

Just this last weeekend I was finally able to get some meaningfull information on this problem. I ran a very basic REXX program in a loop caliing a CL. This produced a MCH0601 from QCAFLD. Our tech support has opened the issue with IBM. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

An update on the issue, today we are sending our libraries to IBM. they are going to recreate the problem on their systemand look at it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X