Debugger ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debugger ??????

Like a dinosaur in a tar pit!!!!! -bret p.s. Dinosaur when used in this message is not meant to imply either implicityly or explicitly the general image of an RPG programmer in todays Object Oriented mentality.

Debugger ??????

arrrgh

Comment

Debugger ??????

Search the forum using 'strdbg AND ile' and you will find how to use STRDBG to debug a RPGIV program - once you start using it you will find that it operates very much like STRISDB. HTH, Joe

Comment

Debugger ??????

Get Code/400 and use it's debugger.

Comment

Debugger ??????

We've got CODE400 and as soon as I get a quiet moment I'll start using it. We've been inundated with a project to be done two months ago(*%&^%&*^%).

Comment

Debugger ??????

I used to work as maintenance programmer in a shop of which the programs are very badly written. Sometime programs work for weeks (after being clean up), loop or bomb for no reason. Cancel the job, then interview the user sometime is futile: can never duplicate the right condition (... I mean the wrong condition) and the program works again. With STRISDB SRVJOB(*SELECT) I can debug any of these jobs (batch or interactive) in matter of minutes, and save hours of frustration. I resent RPG IV mainly because of that. I think STRDBG is a step backward (to the S/38 day) not something of real improvement - with the exception of the ability to view the source code (after recompiling with appropriate options). Beside: one shortcut I use to bypass long loop is to ADDBKP, and run F17 to zoom in the problem. I cannot find the equivalence in STRDBG. The STEP n , if the value of n is too small , it takes forever, if too big, it zips right thru the desired target instruction. Can someone tell me how to do it ? It's OK to debug our own programs, to debug another's is something else. I take STRISDB over STRDBG anytime.

Comment

Debugger ??????

Cuong, I mostly agree with you. I have to admit that I still prefer the ease of use that STRISDB provided as opposed to STRDBG. The biggest problem with STRDBG that I have finally recognized, is 'me'. Each time I think that STRDBG has let me down, I catch someone doing something in STRDBG that is equivalent to what I wanted to do, but could not figure out. I have read the (not so useful)Help and find it to be poorly written. What I truly wish, is that some magazine (wink, wink! Nudge, nudge!) would publish an indepth article on the use of STRDBG with some real world examples. -bret

Comment

Debugger ??????

Brett Myrick wrote: I have read the (not so useful)Help and find it to be poorly written. What I truly wish, is that some magazine (wink, wink! Nudge, nudge!) would publish an indepth article on the use of STRDBG with some real world examples. 
                Any experienced STRDBG users want to volunteer? Contact me at sodonnell@midrangecomputing.com or Ted Holt at tholt@midrangecomptuing.com.

Comment

Debugger ??????

I'm not surprised that you don't like STRDBG if you only know the step command. I agree that the step command is practically useless. Step 1 is ok, but F10 does that. The equivalent of ADDBKP is "break". If you know the procedure and statement number (say from an exception), you do break procname/stmtnum on the debugger command line, then hit F12 to run to the statement. You can also use F6 in the debugger to set a break point on a specific source line. There is one excellent feature that STRDBG has, but that STRISDB does not have: the ability to detect exactly what line of code a variable gets changed on, even if it's changed in a different program. You use the "watch" command (it's completely different from the STRISDB "watch"). In PGMA, you can WATCH FLD1, and then you get a "watchpoint" (like a breakpoint) every time FLD1 changes. If FLD1 gets changed during a call, you get the watchpoint right in the called program, rather than just after the call in PGMA. You can use STRSRVJOB then STRDBG to debug another job.

Comment

Debugger ??????

Bret, have you read the debugger chapters in the RPG or COBOL programmer's guide? Here's the RPG one: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AGY03/3.1

Comment

Debugger ??????

Barbara, Believe it or not, although it's true, I have not had an IBM manual since 1991 when I returned from Asia. I have broused online before, but have never gotten in depth with the RPG manual. COBOL? Have only used COBOL on the AS/400 for one client, and that was just to make mods, not write from scratch. I have saved the link you provided and will browse this weekend. Thanks, Bret

Comment

Debugger ??????

Barbara: Please tell me how to dedug an interactive job run by someone else, using the STRDBG.

Comment

Debugger ??????

Barbara: Just forget my question.

Comment

Debugger ??????

Barbara: Try these Regards, Guillermo from Puerto Rico see attachment

Comment

Debugger ??????

Does anyone find being able to keep the contents of the field(s) being watched on the screen as you are stepping through a debug session useful?

Comment

Working...
                              X