MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Years ago, when computers were a lot slower, it was good to try to shave milliseconds off an operation by using one op code instead of another. Nowadays, it is of no importance. Business programming is slowed down by I/O, not by calcs. If you need a program to run faster, don't worry about whether you should use a MOVEL or EVAL or Z-ADD. Instead, see if you can improve the I/O.

MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Saravanan, In this case, Eval and Z-add would be equivalent. Bill > Can anyone of you clarify this doubt? Iam populating a Numeric 6,0 > field to a Numeric 8,0 field. Sometimes vice versa. > > What the difference could the Z-ADD make in populating the values in both the cases?

Comment

MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Bill, Eval will abend the program if the 8.0 field overflows when assigning to a 6.0 field. Z-Add won't. Chris

Comment

MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Normally, you do want to know when you get numeric overflow. After all, do you want to print out bills with the most significant digits truncated? (On the other hand though, I'd certainly like to recieve bills with the most significant digits missing! ;-) As far as I can tell, there are no good applications of high-order digit truncation. There are always better alternatives. Another consideration: EVAL is supported on the free-form calc spec (new to V5R1). MOVEL and Z-ADD are not.

Comment

MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Hi All, Can anyone of you clarify this doubt? Iam populating a Numeric 6,0 field to a Numeric 8,0 field. Sometimes vice versa. What the difference could the Z-ADD make in populating the values in both the cases? Thanking you in Advance. Regards, Saravanan.

Comment

MOVEL or EVAL vs Z-ADD

Thank you all for your time and help. Saravanan

Comment

Working...
            X