FDF Data Transfer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDF Data Transfer Problem

Bob: If you are using CA Express, then the create as400 file wizard is the only way to go. I have had this same problem before I started using Client Access Express. The file creation wizard is wonderful. It can resolve data irregularities in the pc file and you are allowed to edit the file definition prior to creating the AS400 db2 table. Once I discovered this, I have never used any other method. Bentley Pearson Genesis Expert Systems, Inc www.xocommerce.com

Thanks, Bentley. I searched for the wizard but couldn't find it. We are using CA Express and OPSNAV in particular to create tables, etc. When I did a search for info on this, the IBM reference mentioned it wouldn't work if you upload to the AS/400 using IP address vs. name servers. Also, the AS/400 file has been previously created, so now it's a file definition issue. Is the wizard useful for this aspect? How do you access the wizard? Thanks again, Bob

Comment

When you click the send button and the transfer to as400 panel shows up, click the third pull down menu. This is the data file creation wizard. Just follow the directions from there. I don't have CA/express loaded here, so I am goig on memory for the function describers.

Comment

Thanks, Bentley. I searched for the wizard but couldn't find it. We are using CA Express and OPSNAV in particular to create tables, etc. When I did a search for info on this, the IBM reference mentioned it wouldn't work if you upload to the AS/400 using IP address vs. name servers. Also, the AS/400 file has been previously created, so now it's a file definition issue. Is the wizard useful for this aspect? How do you access the wizard? Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Bob, The problem is not in your FDF file. Rather, it has more to do with mixed format in the date field of your Excel file. Your FDF specs defined the date as a character field. But I am pretty sure you have some numeric data inside. No amount of fiddling with your FDF will fix this problem. The only solution I know is to make sure every date cell is clearly defined as "character". You can achieve this by appending a single quote as the first character of the date field.

Comment

Bob: Ric makes a very good point, one tat I had forgotten about! What I have done to get around this is to save the excel file (from Excel) as a Tab Delimited Text file. Then I use the Create AS400 data file wizard to create my as400 db2 table/physical file and viola! the file is imported to the as400 rather magically!

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Before I read your latest replies, I custom-formatted the Excel date field to "yyyy-mm-dd" so it matched the ISO format syntax on the AS/400 file. I also put today's date in the column and everything uploaded without a problem. I couldn't get the data file wizard to work properly (I had the PC file format set at ASCII). When it scanned the file, the fields didn't show up properly. A colleague suggested saving the Excel file as Tab Delimited Text and it almost worked (it left out 2 fields and had the date field back to character even tho I selected ISO in the wizard). I'll play with it some more as it does seem to be a handy tool. Thanks Ric and Bentley for your help!

Comment

I am having difficulty uploading an Excel spreadsheet to a PF on the AS/400. The data transfer error message states my date field syntax doesn't match the field expected in the AS/400. I have changed the FDF indicators to try to match the PF date field (10 char. ISO format) but no luck. Here's a copy of the FDF: PCFDF PCFT 1 PCFO 1,1,1,1,1 PCFL WACKEY 1 5 PCFL WCPYCD 1 5 PCFL WACCOST 2 11/2 PCFL WSHIPCD 2 3/0 PCFL WLIMIT 2 3/0 PCFL WUSER 1 10 PCFL WDTECHG 1 10 PCFL WEXTRA1 1 2 PCFL WEXTRA2 1 2 No matter what I do with the PCFO settings and the PCFL field settings I still get the same error message. The IBM book that covers FDF formats mentions that PCFO is optional, so I tried it both ways of including and excluding. I have also double-checked the formatting of the Excel spreadsheet and saved it as "formatted text - space delimited". This has always worked fine in the past. Is anyone familiar with FDF formats and their vagarities? I would surely appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks in advance! Bob

Comment

Another thing to try is IF this file or transfer is already on the AS/400, then download the file to your PC. Use that FDF file from the download to upload back.

Comment

Working...
                  X