ASNA VRPG and VisualAge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASNA VRPG and VisualAge

I have not heard IBM even advertising VisualAge RPG of late. They just seem to care about Java now. I just purchased ASNA. From what I know so far, the advantages is your GUI screens works with microsoft components, so your windows are microsoft windows. Use of graphs and other microsoft things. Your programs can also run on Windows 95 or NT if you want to deploy them to that platform. A disadvantage I found is a runtime charge per user which can go up in price anytime. Ron

ASNA VRPG and VisualAge

Mav, We have begun using IBM's VisualAge for RPG and are quite happy. I do not have any experience with ANSA's product so I cannot speak to comparisons. As a programmer I am very happy with VisualAge for RPG, getting data from the 400 (or iSeries whatever) is simple, and the support seems very good to me, to cite a couple of the pleasant surprizes. IBM has a VARPG newsgroup and the developers of the product frequent there...nothing like a direct connect to the people who make the product. If you have specific things you are looking for I will try to keep an eye on this thread, and do my best to answer the question. Or you could go to the VARPG support site at www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/support/ to find some more information (I would suggest that you bring up the newsgroup for VARPG, that has a link on that page, and any questions could also be lofted to a larger VARPG audience (worldwide)). I have to respectfully disagree with Ron though, while there hasn't been a lot of activity that is VARPG specific, IBM did package it with the WebSphere Development Tools which to me is a good thing since it will find it's way into so many shops now. So advertising for WDT/400 is advertising for VARPG. The price for VARPG is practically free (I think it is like $300 per developer for the entire WDT/400) and there are no user runtime charges. Hope this helps, Kevin Silbernagel Linn-Benton-Lincoln Education Service District Albany, Oregon USA

Comment

ASNA VRPG and VisualAge

The choice between ASNA Caviar VRPG and IBM VisualAge RPG is for the most part a choice between writing a Windows RPG logic program that can be served by the AS/400 or NT (ASNA), or a similar program that can only be served by the AS/400 (VisualAge). In other words, those who are looking to convert their commercial green screen system to Windows programs that they can sell to the NT market as well are using ASNA. This kind of statement brings instant knee jerks from the webheads, but aside from their all too familiar refrain, the ASNA NT and AS/400 market approach is somewhat problematic. The Windows program approach tends to get too much business logic in it, and where a disciplined design is made that avoids that and isolates business logic to the server, the ASNA code that would run on the NT is not directly compilable and executable on the AS/400. However, given that it is server side code, it is very doable to limit the code to RPG business logic and database I/O without the ASNA extensions. Doing so provides the possibility of developing that portion of the system in the AS/400 compatible format of ASNA and uploading the RPG code to the AS/400 to run as batch logic servers, staying code compatible with the NT server code. Haven't done it myself, nor stayed close enough to the ASNA development community to see how successful that approach is, but their architecture does provide for it. The NT market is made possible by an ASNA DB2/400 clone for NT. Does VisualAge for RPG programs operate seamlessly against all Universal DB2 databases? Is there a technical reason why they wouldn't, features that the Universal DB2 database has on the AS/400 that isn't in the other Universal DB2 databases? Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

ASNA VRPG and VisualAge

Has anybody look at this product(ANSA VRPG)? What are the major advantages or disadvantages? How does it compare to VisualAge RPG

Comment

Working...
        X