Grant temporary authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant temporary authority

This is a great place to use adopted authority. have your program adopt the authority of someone who is allowed to view/change the payroll file. (Do this by specifying USRPRF(*OWNER) on the compile). This way every user who is authorized to call the program will be granted the authority to view/change the data in a just-in-time fashion. jte

Thans so much John. Worked like a charm. I knew there was some such thing, but I didn't know how to do it. Thanks again.

Comment

Ellen,
      That doesn't sound like a security problem, per se, it sounds like a programming problem. Look for an AlcObj command on that file earlier in the CL program.
      Bill
      call the program, and then revoke authority in the same CL. The problem: Only one person at a time will be able to be in the program, because when Employee A has the time sheet entry screen up and Employee B wants to get in, Employee B gets an error message saying that file XXXXXX is in use and thus they cannot be granted authority.

Comment

Bill, Her CL program is trying to change the object authority while the object is in use. Can't do that... Chris

Comment

I am writing a program which allows our employees to enter their own time sheets. They will need authority to some of the HR/PR files in order to bring up their employee information. I can't grant them authority permanently, so I was going to grant authority to them in the CL, call the program, and then revoke authority in the same CL. The problem: Only one person at a time will be able to be in the program, because when Employee A has the time sheet entry screen up and Employee B wants to get in, Employee B gets an error message saying that file XXXXXX is in use and thus they cannot be granted authority. Is there a way to get around this problem? Is there a better way to do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

It's a good technique. The earlier one was actually quite dangerous. If the program had crashed after it had granted the authority and before it had revoked it again the user would have retained the new authorities. Dave...

Comment

Working...
            X