SMTP security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP security

Robert, That is too bad. We are not used to this sort of unfriendly abuse in the AS/400 world. Did IBM point you to their PTFs that allow you to filter by IP source? A while back I helped someone else with this and problem, here are the PTFs that you need: For V4R2, see SF52864 For V4R3, see SF53421 For V4R4, see SF54014. On V4R5+ no additional PTFs are necessary. One problem is that it is likely you are now listed as a spammer and likely to be on some blacklists. Depending on who you send mail to, it is possible that they will not receive them due to your prior spam problem. I don't know how you get off of the list, but I do know that some legitimate organizations scan for open relays and send a warning. Too bad they didn't pick up on your problem. David Morris

SMTP security

Has anyone had the sad experience of being spamed by a mass mailer ? We noticed that our SMTP jobs were using an abnormal amount of resources.I check all of the forums and took applied all the required PTF's and still we were getting hit. Then SMTP started crashing a couple of times a week and I called IBM. The flight recorder showed a lot (1200 transactions/hour) going to AOL address that we never heard of. Anyway, seems the as400 SMTP will gladly relay mail for anyone that logs into port 25. I thought I was safe since I had my network isolated by NATing the outside world to a 172.16. subnet and I thought the as400 requires passwords to send mail. Or at least I'd see some warnings in all the publication I read. I think this subject would make a good article in Midrange Computing.

Comment

SMTP security

I contacted AOL abuse and let them know what was going on. Then I contacted PSI.net and let them know what ip was sending the trash. Just wish IBM or the trade journals covered this a little better.

Comment

Working...
      X