Group vs Public in an AUTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group vs Public in an AUTL

Ken, Let's check the silly things first. Does the group profile have *ALLOBJ authority? This would explain the behaviour you're seeing. When the user has an entry in the authorisation list this will be checked before the group's special authority and he will get *USE rights. Without a user entry the group's special authority would be checked before the authorisation list authority. Dave...

How are these users accessing the file, through a program? If so, does the program run with USRPRF(*OWNER)? These users may be accessing the file with adopted authority. Chris

Comment

Hi Dave and Chris, The user has no special authorities. The programs are not adopting authority. I confirmed this by using UPDDTA under the users id (the scenario above is the same under UPDDTA). I'm in a Kazakhstan for a week now - any further help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated but it will be about 10 days before I reply. thanks again Ken

Comment

I'm in a Kazakhstan for a week now
        Wow! You're not working for my old company Tengizchevroil, are you? Dave...

Comment

Who owns the object?

Comment

Hi Dave, No - it was purely pleasure!

Comment

Hi John, It's owned by a nominated owning profile which cannot sign on and has no special authorities.

Comment

Ken: The OS/400 stops after *PUBLIC is "OK'ed". Everybody is PUBLIC, it's logic ? No ? So unless *PUBLIC is *EXCLUDED, the rest is meaningless.

Comment

Cuong, OS/400 stops checking when an authority is found and uses that authority (regardless of what that authority is). Group authority is checked for *PUBLIC, so the group should only have *USE in the scenario described in this thread. Chris

Comment

What happens if a user has a group and a supplemental group assigned to their profile. Say their group is not authorized to an object, but their supplemental group is. Do they get access or not?

Comment

Hi Susan, Good question. If more than one group profile is specified in the user profile, then when OS/400 checks for group authority, the combined authority of the user groups in used. So, if user JOHN has GROUP1, GROUP2, GROUP3 listed in his profile, OS/400 checks the authority for GROUP1, then the combined authorities of GROUP1 and GROUP2 and then the combined authorities of all three groups. Chris

Comment

Chris: What I meant was: Unless *PUBLIC has *EXCLUDE authority, the OS/400 wouldn't bother to check for the *USE authority of AGRPPRF anymore. If he gave *USE for *PUBLIC and also *USE for AGRPPRF, it became meaningless. So in order to accomplish what he wanted to do (*USE authority for AGRPPRF), *PUBLIC should has either *EXCLUDE or *USE authority to that object, not more than that.

Comment

Cuong, What I meant was: Unless *PUBLIC has *EXCLUDE authority, the OS/400 wouldn't bother to check for the *USE authority of AGRPPRF anymore. Why not? Group authority is always checked for before public authority. Chris

Comment

I have a file secured with an authorisation list *PUBLIC *AUTL no other authorities other than the owner on the file. In the AUTL are the entries: AGRPPRF *USR PUBLIC *CHANGE However when a user belonging to group AGRRPRF wants to add/delete a recored to the file they are allowed to. This is where I am confused because the security refrence manual states that the in the 7 steps of authority checking that group authority is checked before public, specifically; step 6. Groups authority on the AUTL securing the object step 7. Public authority for the object or for the authorsation list So how come users belonging to AGRPPRF get to update. If I change the authority list to so that the user is specified as *USE rather than the group then the update is refused as expected. I must be missing something here - can anyone tell me what it is? thanks Ken

Comment

Hi Guys, Just to let you know this sceanrio is now working as it should be. The update is refused as the group is *USE even though public is set to *CHANGE. The only change that has been made - some PTF's were applied! Go figure! Thanks for your suggestions. Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X