Can I do menu option security, how ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do menu option security, how ?

" ... Can I somehow do option 1,2 security ? If so how ? I know I could create two menus but then I would need to maintain both objects security. " I have always worked in environments where users belonged to groups that were allowed to access only certain screens, reports, etc. We had a different menu for each user type (Manager, Customer Service Rep, etc.). Not sure what you mean by the need to maintain both objects security? If the users have no command line access, then their activity is strictly controlled by the menu selections presented to them. They cannot view a screen if they are not presented with the option on their menu. If your users do have access to a command line, then obviously you cannot rely on the menu to keep the users in line. The system of having a different menu for the different user types worked for my employers, and one shop had 6 different user types that I can think of off the top of my head. The menus were essentially the same, with options removed for the "lesser" users. They had no command line access, and we used the user profile and/or *LDA to "decide" if the user was inquiry only. There could be a slicker way to do this, but this method worked fine for us and as I said, we had maybe a half dozen different user types to manage.

Sorry, maybe I didn't fully understand the problem, but could it not be better to call a CL program instead of to call directly the RPG program ?? if you call the CL, you can then retrieve the job attributes (variable USER) and then decide which RPG (or which subroutine inside your rpg program) you will call ... it's look so simple that I'm sure that I din't understand ... René

Comment

Or along the same lines and even simpler, have 2 separate CL programs - one called by each menu option. The programs would simply call the RPG with the appropriate parameters. Eg. Pgm Call PGM(lib/rpgpgm) PARM(as) EndPgm Then you can protect each CL program with a separate authorisation list so that only the appropriate group could run it. Ideally you would have object security on the RPG program, and the files it accesses, set so that no-one could access it directly. The CL programs would adopt the necessary authority. Dave...

Comment

I have an AS/400 menu with two options that run the same RPG display/inquiry program. The difference is one is for sales and the other for accounting. I set a pram flag on the menu call as: Option 1. Sales Program CALL PM(lib/rpgpgm) PRAM(AS') or Option 2. Accounting Program CALL PM(lib/rpgpgm) PRAM(A') The reason there are two versions is that the end reports are different. Accounting does not want sales to see some costing data on there report version. So from the inquiry program I pass the flags to different control break programs that process only the information needed for each department. Can I somehow do option 1,2 security ? If so how ? I know I could create two menus but then I would need to maintain both objects security.

Comment

Ya Dave that's what I thought to...pretty simple really could not see the forest through the trees on this. I made it to complicated, I think. I am using CL's first to do open query files as a sbmjob then calling my RPG programs. I'll add some CL logic for each program. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X