You Tell Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tell Me

Communications, we need to talk more about communications. There are not enough topics about communications and connectivity.

You Tell Me

Manny wrote: Communications, we need to talk more about communications. There are not enough topics about communications and connectivity. Check out the Networking Forums Manny. And, as always, if you have a specific communications or connectivity question, post it and someone is bound to have an answer for you!

Comment

You Tell Me

Upgrades. I'd like to see discussions about upgrades, specifically on when and when not to upgrade. I guess planning an upgrade is more difficult for me then getting down to the nitty gritty and doing it. Things to discuss like, "Should I just wait for this new V5R1 to come out instead of moving forward with the V4R5 or do I have to already be at that level?" I heard that moving up a version requires you to be on the last revision prior to upgrading to the next level version. Is this true with V5R1? Where can I find information specific to upgrades and so forth? Can you tell I'm new? Anyway, I would like to discuss this topic in here if anyone can help. Thanks.

Comment

You Tell Me

Karma Henderson wrote: Upgrades. Id like to see discussions about upgrades, specifically on when and when not to upgrade. I guess planning an upgrade is more difficult for me then getting down to the nitty gritty and doing it. Things to discuss like, Should I just wait for this new V5R1 to come out instead of moving forward with the V4R5 or do I have to already be at that level? I heard that moving up a version requires you to be on the last revision prior to upgrading to the next level version. Is this true with V5R1? Where can I find information specific to upgrades and so forth? Can you tell Im new? Anyway, I would like to discuss this topic in here if anyone can help. Thanks. Yep! This is a topic that even seasoned AS/400 veterans wrestle with. The problem comes in because each release is different. Some releases, you can jump 3 versions in a single bound. Others require you to go by the numbers. Actually, most require you to go by the numbers. However, if youre feeling brave, generally you can jump releases without problems, as long as you are aware of potential pitfalls for each release. Keep in mind, however, that if something goes wrong when you do this, generally you are not covered by your support contract. So...for more information on what release of OS/400 is expiring when...go to OS/400 Release Support For information on whether you can jump from one release to another, or if you have to dot all the is in between, check out: Upgrade Assistant HTH

Comment

You Tell Me

There's a better link for assitance in upgrading, than the one I just gave you. Check out: RISC to RISC Roadmap and Upgrade Paths and New Systems

Comment

You Tell Me

The one topic that I see missing (and I've posted several questions on with no response) is performance issues. Some of these could be under the topic of System Setup. The available documentation from IBM is not all that great when it comes to Performance. They basically want us to pay them to do it. Another subject would be System Errors. I'm not talking about SRC's but more along the line of one of the threads going on about the Interactive Activity. This would also tie into the upgrade issue as to what errors in set up to look out for. Especially from those that have already experienced problems.

Comment

You Tell Me

One problem with discussing performance is that what works on one system, may not necessarily work on another. For example, someone might complain about interactive performance on a Model 270 while another person sings the praises of interactive performance on a Model 250 (yeah, yeah, I know, but still...anything's possible...:-). What is the solution that can be offered? The 270 isn't designed for a heavy interactive workload, so naturally, interactive performance won't be as good as the 250. Suggestions could be made for the 250 which might improve interactive performance there, but those suggestions wouldn't necessarily translate to the 270 which wasn't designed for it. This is my long winded way of saying that system performance topics can be covered in general, but one size doesn't fit all. The best thing to do is to keep posting your specific performance issue questions and concerns. With the new forums, it should be easier for a larger number of people to see your message(s) than did in the past with the old forums. That increases the odds that someone will be able to offer specific suggestions to your specific problems and concerns.

Comment

You Tell Me

When I mention performance issues I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the use of the tools to collect performance information. The standard calculations utilized. The big thing is the changing tools that are available. Documentation on how to use these and what information is provided is sparse and what documentation is available is not always clear. As technology changes the parameters and requirements to make the AS/400 "sing" change. Problems that come up with software packages, hardware solutions, etc. should be passed on. I know performance changes per model and in fact changes depending on the amount of memory, Interactive Capacity, etc. But in general the tools and guidelines are going to be the same. Just my 2 cents

Comment

You Tell Me

What kinds of topics should we discuss in the Systems Administration and Operations forum?

Comment

You Tell Me

While performance does vary in specifics by model, feature and SO release .. in general the principles and the effects on various software mixes make for a good discussion topic.. storage management can consume much of an administrator's time and again while release dependent it appears to me that machines fill with an overhead smog' of garbage

Comment

Working...
                    X