endjob *immed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• endjob *immed

As long as it's only certainjobs, and you have control over that, then your risk is limited to your control. Dave

endjob *immed

Peggy, if you're not going to add any validation but simply allow the user to specify the job to be ended and trust her to pick only the right ones, then why not just grant her *JOBCTL authority? Dave...

Comment

endjob *immed

Dave, My boss feels *jobctl would give the person more power than we want him to have, except to end these jobs when necessary. (Unfortunately, when the people screw up these jobs and need them ended, it's usually in the wee hours of the morning or over weekends. Since the programs causing problems are under the 'jurisdiction' of this person, we're happy to have him get the desperate phone calls.) Shouldn't it be possible to have a CL that just gives him a screen to fill in with the pertinent info, which he can find using wrkactjob? Thanks for responding.

Comment

endjob *immed

Peggy, With this design you should provide some validation or the person using your program will be able to end any job on the system. One way to provide validation would be to check for a fixed list of users and only allow jobs to be ended when the user part of the job name matches a name in the list. Another way would be to grant the person *EXECUTE authority to the user profiles when you want to let them end the jobs of that user. Then within your program you would verify that the user has *EXECUTE authority to the user profile that is the same as the user part of the job name. If they do not have the authority then they are not allowed to end the job. The advantage to this solution is that you do not need to change the program each time you want to allow the user to cancel someone else's job.

Comment

endjob *immed

Yes, that would work, but as Ed says he would then be able to kill any job. My personal feeling is still that you are handing over a certain amount of responsibility and along with that goes a little trust. However... If these are batch jobs, do you know in advance what the job names will be? Or even better can you store away the full job IDs from the CPC1221 message when the jobs are submitted? In either case you should be able to develop a program that will cancel these jobs, and only these jobs, with a single button push. Dave...

Comment

endjob *immed

Thanks for the ideas and opinions. We've just about got our endjob *immed plan up and running, with 'intense' validation! Peggy

Comment

endjob *immed

We need to allow a user, who has no special authorities, to end certain jobs. (I know, I know . . . it's a complicated circumstance!) I don't program, but from searching through discussions, I gather we need to create a CL program that will adopt *jobctl authority from another user to execute ENDJOB *IMMED, plus allow this particular user to enter the job name, user and number. (This user is familiar with wrkactjob.) Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or opinions on this situation? Thanks.

Comment

endjob *immed

I the same issue a while back. The easiest way for me was to create a new sub system. That user was the only one who was able to submit batch jobs to it. Then I created a new menu option that ended that sub system.

Comment

Working...
                X