Setting up Netserver on AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Netserver on AS/400

Chuck - I believe you will get this when your PC password does not match your /400 password. The other possibility is that your Windows user-ID is not found on the /400 and no GUEST profile is defined in Netserver. HTH, Steve

Yes, your AS/400 profile and password MUST match your Microsoft Network profile and password. You can use Windows's Control Panel to synchronise the passwords, but restart Windows afterwards as Windows doesn't update it's password file until closedown! Also, if you are netserving on multiple AS/400's, it's not enough to have matching profiles and passwords, the User ID Number (right at the bottom of CHGUSRPRF must also synchronise across the 400's!

Comment

Ok, I'm trying to setup Netserver on my AS/400 to run in the Network Neighborhood. I followed all of the instructions on IBM's site for fast path setup. And, guess what? It showed up in my network neighborhood just like it should. However, when I click on the AS/400, I get the following error requiring me to enter my password. "You must supply a password to make this connection: Resource: \S10B0784IPC$" No matter what password I use it doesn't allow me to connect. Any ideas?

Comment

I have a problem with this. I know Client Access had a problem at one time with the Windows and AS/400 passwords not being the same. I thought this was fixed a while ago. To force the Windows and AS/400 passwords (especially between multiple AS/400s) is, IMHO, a major security violation. We are preparing to have the AS/400 passwords expire on a random basis (time) and if our users can't use their folders or map to the AS/400 because the network password doesn't match we are going to have a major problem. Our security policy is that each system, let it be network, AS/400, or RS6000, must have a unique password. The verification to anything set up in the Netserver should be the AS/400 profile and password. We don't have users that will be able to understand how to sync the passwords (and is a violation of our security policy as I said). The other issue is that before I came to this company a security audit had been done and we were hit by the fact that the passwords between the network & AS/400 were the same. There has to be a work around or IBM hopefully has a fix (after so many years of people complaining to them about this).

Comment

Working...
        X