Interactive CPW = 0 - Your Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive CPW = 0 - Your Experiences

One session works fine, Shannon. I do all my development on a 0CPW model 270, and I have absolutely no problems... until I fire up a second session. One nasty thing I have noticed, though: using STRISDB and stepping through a program somehow counts as two sessions, and will kill the machine. But other than that, a 0CPW machine is perfect for 1-person development and deployment.
    "Shannon O'Donnell" wrote in message news:1e39058f.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
    I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has a Zero (0) Interactive CPW rated server. What I'd like to find out is how this works with a 5250 session. 0 Interactive doesn't mean you absolutely cannot run an interactive system. At least I don't think it does. As far as I can tell, without actually working on such a system, is that zero interactive CPW only means that interactive performance bites kibble, not that it's impossible to use. So if you have any experience with this, please share.

Thanks Joe. I wonder how a zero Interactive CPW system will fare with WebFacing. WebFacing serves up screens via JSP and java beans, but each webfacing session also counts as an interactive session. Hmmm....

Comment

"Shannon O'Donnell" wrote: Thanks Joe. I wonder how a zero Interactive CPW system will fare with WebFacing. WebFacing serves up screens via JSP and java beans, but each webfacing session also counts as an interactive session. Hmmm.... ----- It will die a slow and horrible death, Shannon. WebFacing will not work on a 0CPW machine. Unless you actually submit your job to batch, CFINT will come and gobble your CPU. Since my revitalization technique does submit to batch, however, it works wonderfully on a 0CPW machine. I hope to have some demos up in the next few weeks. Joe

Comment

Would the same be true for HOD, as an HOD session is a single session? Dave

Comment

What do you mean, Dave? If you have 100 users, do all of them funnel through the same HOD session? As you can probably tell, I'm no expert on HOD. Joe

Comment

Naaaaah What I'm getting from this thread, is that Webfacing causes two interactive sessions for a single user. If that is the case, my question is would that be the same (for a single user session) for HOD? Sorry about the lack of clarity. Dave

Comment

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has a Zero (0) Interactive CPW rated server. What I'd like to find out is how this works with a 5250 session. 0 Interactive doesn't mean you absolutely cannot run an interactive system. At least I don't think it does. As far as I can tell, without actually working on such a system, is that zero interactive CPW only means that interactive performance bites kibble, not that it's impossible to use. So if you have any experience with this, please share.

Comment

whoa there nellie! I didn't say that webfacing causes two interactive sessions. I just posed a question which I don't yet have the answer to. Namely, will a web facing session count as an interactive session as it pertains to Interactive CPW? I don't know. I know that from a licensing standpoint, a web facing session counts towards one of your interactive licensing seats. For example, if you bring up the web faced app via a browser, that's one interactive session license being used. If you also bring up the same app as a green screen, at the same time, that's another interactive session for licensing. If you drop one or the other sessions, then you return one seat back to the license server. This is the way it should work since the web facing server is interacting with you green screen legacy code anyway. I just don't know if, since the web faced app is served up as a JSP, does it count towards or is affected by the Interactive CPW? That's the question I need and answer for. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Shannon, Yes, IBM has stated that WebFaces apps will still count under the interactive CPW rating. Of course, it will really be a mix of interactive/batch because all of the stuff that goes on within WebSphere counts as batch. But your RPG program logic will count as interactive. Therefore, my conclusion would be that you cannot run this on a zero interactive system. In fact, I think I even heard one of the IBM'ers say this was so. Mark

Comment

See Shannon's reply - there is only one interactive session, but for a 0CPW machine, even one is too many (unless you have the luxury of one machine per user). I suspect the same with HOD, if it uses an interactive session. My technique uses no interactive session, so runs quite well on a 0CPW machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X