Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start-up of new I-Series help/tips needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start-up of new I-Series help/tips needed!

If I were you, I would purchase some of the good I-Series System administration books that are for sale. The AS/400 Owners manual by Mike Dawson is a pretty good start ... probably for sale here at MC. Jim

It is not obvious to give advice because I do not know about the specific of your software environment. But I would recommend that you run the PRTSYSINF command on the current machine and print out the result. It will give you the current setup of almost everything (user profile, printer device, comm lines ...).

Comment

The attachment will assist you. It's not a complete solution but I don't know your complete sistuation. Hope it helps. tim

Restore Procedure for PNA to NDP4.doc

Comment

Hello, We are currently leasing space on an AS400 along with several other companies. We are in the process of purchasing a new AS400 for ourselves. I'll gladly accept any tips, references, sources, etc. that can be given to aid in this process. I have been on the AS400 & S/38 for about 18 years and have done most everything at one time or another, but mainly application development (the IFS is somewhat new technology to me). I have aided in migrating from AS400's to another AS400's in the past, but it's been quite a while back, and not with a mult-ucompany AS400 to a single company as400. I want to make sure that all our i's are dotted and t's crossed (check-list would be nice), and don't leave out anything. Fortunately we will have some transition time (about a month or more) between switch-over. We have a technical networking crew that will be able to setup the hardware, network connections, etc, but I'll be responsible on the software setup, security, profiles, work management, etc. Again, any tips, check list, resources, etc would be helpful. Thanks, Don

Comment

I would go through the backup and recovery book from IBM. They give some good examples for moving user profiles, data, libraries and the such. Below I have a doc that I believe will do most of what you are needing. Because I don't know your exact situation don't count on this covering everything! It should help you get started. I have another procedure that I use to move everything from one system to a new system. Email me at Tim.Shafar@Fiserv.com if you need that list. Restore Procedure. Backup and Recovery Manual Page 208[*]Save Option 21[*]Place System in a restricted state.[*]System Value QALWOBJDIF must be *all[*]Use this procedure to move User Libraries, Office Vision Docs, User Profiles, and User Authorities. This procedure does NOT move devices such as printer configurations or system values. If you use these directions your authories will be restored to the object. See the Backup and Recovery guide Page 209 for a better understanding of moving user profiles. 1) Restore User Profiles a) RSTUSRPRF(USRPRF(*ALL) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD) b) If User Exist on NDP4[*]* Password: Not changed[*]* *ALLOBJ: (1) Person doing the system save must have *ALL & *SECADM or people with all object authority will not be granted all object on the new system. c) If User Doesn’t Exist on NDP4[*]* Password: Set to *NONE (1) *NONE No password is associated with this user profile. Users cannot sign on a system with a profile that has PASSWORD(*NONE) specified.[*]* *ALLOBJ: (1) Person doing the system save must have *ALL & *SECADM or people with all object authority will not be granted all object on the new system. 2) Restore Libraries/Objects a) RSTLIB b) RSTOBJ c) RSTDLO 3) Restore Authority a) RSTAUT[*]**** Are Spool Files to be move? ******* If so follow Backup and Recover manual SC41-5304-04 page 341[*]**** Are there SNA consideration? ***** These issue must be worked out separately.

Comment

Working...
          X