AS400 Cleanup Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS400 Cleanup Project

Jim, If I see obvious test/work libraries, I just save them to tape before deleting. However, if I suspect garbage is intermixed with "LIVE" data, I would tread cautiously: 1. For each production library, create a corresponding "freezer" library: Example: If production libraries are named INVLIBF, INVLIBO, INVLIBC create freezer libraries such as ZINVLIBF, ZINVLIBO, ZINVLIBC or XXXLIBF, XXXLIBO, XXXLIBC (use your imagination!) 2. Determine which objects are most probably just garbage and move them to their corresponding freezer libraries. 3. If an object later turns out to be essential, move it back to it's original library. 4. If several months pass without event, save to tape then delete the freezer libraries. Some notes: 1. As long as disk congestion is not a problem, moving the suspect objects to freezer libraries have certain advantages over saving them to tape/savf immediately. They are much easier to locate, immediately available for a second look, faster to bring back on-line, and retain their private authorities. 2. Logical files are an exception. They may immediately be deleted as long as their source files are available or if not, after their source files have been reconstituted. There are programs which can generate the DDS source and are freely available for download from the internet. 3. If possible, try to retain the freezer libraries/files over a fiscal year-end. By the way... Do not forget to verify availability of source codes of production objects.

AS400 Cleanup Project

Cleaning up is a lot more than just finding unused libraries, etc. There are a lot of objects that are constantly used, but also require cleaning. WRKMSGQ *ALL/*ALL allows you to view all extant message queues. Those no longer required may be deleted, but those still in use may require clearing. It is not uncommon for message queues to build up to the point where the space used is downright nasty. WRKSPLF *ALL lists all current spool files. Deleting the spool files is easy, but don't forget to run RCLSPLSTG *NONE afterwards to reclain the space. DSPOBJD *ALL/*ALL *JRNRCV will list the sizes of journal receivers. These things can grow beyond belief. If the journals are no longer in use, then the receivers along with the journal may be deleted. If not, then the journal should be regenerated, creating a new receiver, and the old one should be deleted. Also older receivers of journals may be safely deleted, if new ones are in place. WRKPRB and WRKALR contain items which may be as old as the hills. You may delete everything but pertinent items. WRKFLR may lead to folders for users who have not been on the system for years. Examine the contents of these folders, and then delete the folders. DLTLICPGM may create a more efficient system under certain conditions. For instance, if you have no need of the S/36 or S/38 environment, it is O.K. to delete these licensed programs. If all of your emulation runs on Win/95 or higher, you more than likely do not need CA/400 for Win 3.1, MS-DOS, or OS/2. Dave

Comment

AS400 Cleanup Project

Hi, Our department has recently taken over an AS400 which resided in a different state. It has now been moved to our location. It is a system that has been very poorly managed and is a complete mess in every aspect. We want to start cleaning it up by deleting all the objects from librarys that have are not being used. I am familiar with the DSPOBJD command to direct its output to an outfile. We can then read thru this file and delete the objects we desire to delete using the last used date field. Here is my dilemna: I have never attempted anything like this and know that this is task that should not be taken lightly. We have many long and convoluted jobs streams that run on a nightly basis. We do not want to disturb this process because no one is real familiar with the whole process yet since we are so new to the system. I thought of creating a library called CLEANUP. And then create a Save File (*SAVF) within this library. I believe a smart way to go about this is go alphabetically by library name. In other words, start with all library's starting with 'A', then 'B', then 'C', and so on.... Can I keep on adding objects to a Save File before deleting them? I thought a Save File would be a good place to keep all the deleted objects (or most of them anyway). (An analogy would be how you can add files to a zip file on the PC). Or has anyone done something like this before? If so, do you have any more ideas how to approach this? Another question: Once we get the objects cleaned up, how do we go about deleting libraries? As you know, libraries can be part of library lists and job descriptions. How can we be sure a library is not part of a job description or library list before deleting it? Thank you !! Jim Sovick

Comment

AS400 Cleanup Project

Also WRKLNK to work with directories/files in the IFS. I'm using the ls command in Qshell to list directories & contents to a physical file, then parsing the results with SQL to get a listing of files & their sizes & ages.

Comment

Working...
        X