RCLSTG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCLSTG

I've always felt that a RCLSTG should be performed periodically, even if you feel nothing wrong has occurred. The benefit here, is that if this is true, RCLSTG will provide at least a partial confirmation. Dave

RCLSTG

I would have to agree with you however, I'm a 24 X 7 data center and I'm not sure it's worth the downtime for partial confirmation. Do you have any timing estimates? I'm on an 820/23B5 w/7.5+ gb main storage and 400+ gb DASD. The system is at 55% ASP used (1 ASP). Thanks, Kim

Comment

RCLSTG

The time it takes to run depends on what it has to reclaim. If there is little to reclaim, it runs really fast. On our test system, we run it everytime we do our weekly IPL, just because. I don't believe there is a downside to this...is there?

Comment

RCLSTG

While at COMMON, one of the IBMers that was "in the know" said that the only reason a RCLSTG should be performed is if you had an abnormal termination. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:212890bd.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | I've always felt that a RCLSTG should be performed periodically, even if you feel nothing wrong has occurred. The benefit here, is that if this is true, RCLSTG will provide at least a partial confirmation. | | Dave

Comment

RCLSTG

Chuck...Sorry I'm beating this to death but I really don't want to do this unless I absolutely have to. Does the system need to be in a restricted state? When I had to rclstg on the CISC boxes, I was always restricted. I did have an abnormal termination (UPS powered itself down...go figure) but the system came up normally with no errors recorded in the history log, problem log or SST. I'll probably have to bite the bullet on this one but it sure will leave a bad taste in my mouth! ;-) Thanks, Kim

Comment

RCLSTG

If RCLSTG actually repairs the damaged item(s), that bad taste may be Champagne and Caviar. Dave

Comment

RCLSTG

Point well taken. Actually, doesn't sound so bad after all. Thanks for the time you've spent with this. ;-) Kim

Comment

RCLSTG

It's probably not worth the time if you're running OK and can't really afford the downtime. My understanding is that RCLSTG is less necessary these days than it used to be. It requires a restricted-state system, though maybe not if you're just doing a *DBXREF reclaim. It runs 3+ hours on our system with 4GB RAM and 350GB DASD. It may be faster if you have more/faster CPUs than us (820 2397); the knowledgebase says more memory and more free disk space help it too. The main problem I ran into with RCLSTG (at V5R1 only?) is that because it touches every object on the system, my "changed items only" daily backup tried to save everything. So run it before a full backup, or run another full backup after running RCLSTG.

Comment

RCLSTG

Kim Hi, Just a rough estimate, we have an 840 (V4R5) with 3TB diskspace of which 65% is used and we ran RCLSTG as part of our upgrade steps to V5R1, and it took only 45 minutes, although we ran it after 4-5 months. But I guess if u consider the downtime is impacting then u can cancel the job immediately. Regards, Asim

Comment

RCLSTG

Hi Can a RCLSTG be ended prior to completion ? If you window 24 hours to do the RCLSTG and it does not complete can it just be ended.... haven't run one of these in years Thanks Brian

Comment

RCLSTG

I don't believe I have any damaged objects on my system as I'm able to get an entire system save with no problems. However my UPS (Supposed to be "Top of the Line" very $$$$) has shut itself down several times in the past couple of months. Therefore, all system go down hard. I am wondering if I should do a RCLSTG due to these "hard downs". I am not experiencing any abnormal errors and performance is sub-second. I have a 400+ gb system so this won't be any easy task. My question is...what (if anything) will a reclaim do for me? Thanks in advance for your expertise! Kim

Comment

RCLSTG

FYI, You can find the last time RCLSTG was run and how long it took. Display the data area QRCLSTG (DSPDTAARA QRCLSTG) and you will see the Julian date and time it started and ended, plus the version of OS/400 the system was on when it ran. IBM says you should consider running this if you have an abnormal power loss. It automatically deletes system objects that can't be used, and places user objects that can't be used, in library QRCL. After reviewing the contents of QRCL, you may then doa CLRLIB to free up disk space.

Comment

Working...
                        X