Workstation naming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation naming

Vicki, I don't see a command called RNMDEV and the System Value QDEVNAMING doesn't have a *DPT parm. Am I missing something??? It sounds to me like #2 might work. If you tried #4, where would you get the NEW standard device name?

Workstation naming

I think you should vary them off, and delete them at a off time. Then let the updated configuration with the new names re-configure new ones. This is also an opportunity for you to do some cleanup. Keith

Comment

Workstation naming

Vicki, The only correct answer there is #2. BUT, it's correct only if we are talking about non-Client Access sessions and similar. Bill "Vicki Jones" wrote in message news:224c6ba4.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I am getting ready for a test and ran into a question that I hope somebody can help me with: > Question: > A company has established a standard that all workstation names should start with a three-letter department designation. How can an existing worksation name be changed to conform to the standard? > 1. The user should change the QDEVNAMING system value to *DPT > 2.Ensure that the device is varied off and rename the device with the RNMOBJ command.

Comment

Workstation naming

No, you are not missing anything. They often put in the answers with the commands that don't exist and such. In regards to #4, I guess I was thinking about Client Access sessions. I would give it a different name and the system would configure the device automatically. I guess you( and probably IBm too) are talking about Non Client Access sessions? Thanks! Vicki.

Comment

Workstation naming

I am getting ready for a test and ran into a question that I hope somebody can help me with: Question: A company has established a standard that all workstation names should start with a three-letter department designation. How can an existing worksation name be changed to conform to the standard? 1. The user should change the QDEVNAMING system value to *DPT 2.Ensure that the device is varied off and rename the device with the RNMOBJ command. 3.Rename the device with the RNMDEV command and ensure that the RNMACT parameter is set to *YES 4. Delete the current devices and allow AUTOCFG to recreate the devices. It seems to me both 2 and 4 should work. But I need to pick one answer. What do you think? Thanks! Vicki

Comment

Workstation naming

Hi Vicki, For Client Access sessions, delete the virtual devices QPADEVxxx and then you will have to reconfigure client access display session on each PC such that sessions created through them will reflect the department name. This is how you can achieve this .... On Clinet Access menu items select Communication ---> Configure---> on PC5250 configure screen, put the required session name in Workstation ID feild. Save the session configuration and try to connect to AS400 system, you will get the desired result. Pls note that this activity has to be carried out on all PC's where client Access is installed. Thanks Rajesh

Comment

Working...
            X