The new IBM solid-state drives employ enterprise MLC NAND technology to bring an affordable solution with industry-leading read and write performance for applications requiring enterprise workloads with a read/write mix. The new SSD drives will be available as 2.5-inch options.
These SSDs use a single-chip controller with a SAS interface on the system side and n-channels of NAND Flash internally. Packaged in an HDD replacement enclosure, these SSDs integrate easily in existing storage infrastructures. They are targeted at databases that require high I/O performance in random read and random write operations including applications such as caching and tiering.
Providing that additional peace of mind, the 200 GB, 400 GB, and 800 GB 2.5-inch MLC SSDs are covered under IBM warranty. These drives carry a 1-year limited warranty, or when installed in a System x server, these drives assume the system's base warranty. Solid-state devices do have finite write or P/E cycles and are listed as Total Bytes Written (TBW). Refer to limitations and the device specifications for details.
Features and functions of the 200 GB, 400 GB, and 800 GB 2.5-inch MLC SAS SSDs for IBM System x:
- High capacities in 2.5-inch industry-standard form factors
- Utilization of industry-leading 24nm cost-effective MLC NAND technology
- High read and write performance to fulfill client needs in the enterprise space
- High endurance to withstand applications with moderate read/write workloads
- Power backup circuitry designed to ensure that user data in transit is committed to flash in the event of a power failure
- Temperature management to help prevent the drive from overheating and operating outside of its specified limitations
- Absence of moving parts reduces potential failure points in the server
Find out more here.