IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center (VSC) V5.1 provides efficient virtualization management and data protection for heterogeneous storage environments. SmartCloud VSC V5.1 helps IT storage managers migrate to an agile cloud-based storage environment and manage it effectively without having to replace existing storage systems. This powerful offering removes the physicality of storage, as well as the complexity associated with managing multivendor infrastructures. It ultimately helps businesses to optimize provisioning, capacity, availability, data protection, reporting, and management for virtualized storage.
SmartCloud VSC V5.1 offers both a storage virtualization platform and capabilities for storage virtualization management.
SmartCloud VSC V5.1 delivers to customers under one licensed software product the complete set of advanced functions available in IBM Tivoli® Storage Productivity Center, all the set of functions available with the virtualization, remote-mirroring and FlashCopy® capabilities of IBM System Storage® SAN Volume Controller (SVC), and all the capabilities of IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager.
As such, SmartCloud VSC V5.1 offers the following advanced capabilities:
- Support for Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) protocol that allows use of converged data center infrastructures.
- Nondisruptive volume migration among SVC nodes that helps maximize configuration flexibility.
- A next-generation, web-based management interface that is designed to offer ease of use. The new user interface provides quick access to key storage asset, status, and performance information, and is based on the interface in the current IBM XIV® Storage System and other IBM storage systems.
- IBM Cognos-based reporting that helps create and integrate custom reports on capacity, performance, and utilization.
- Enhanced tiered storage capacity optimization capabilities that support varying optimization goals and automated relocation of storage and tier usage goals and provide policy-based relocation recommendations and reports.
- The ability to perform automated discovery and provisioning of file systems with IBM Scale Out Network Attached Storage (SONAS) and IBM Storwize® V7000 Unified.
- An InstallAnywhere wizard to help simplify installation and post-installation configuration to help accelerate your time-to-value.
- Optional separate licensing available for the integrated IBM real-time compression capability that enables use of compression for production data.
Highlights of IBM SmartCloud™ Virtual Storage Center (VSC) V5.1:
- Storage resources are virtualized: Capacity is virtualized from multiple arrays, vendors, and data centers - pooled together and accessed anywhere, instead of having physical array-boundary limitations. This can result in dramatically improved utilization of physical storage assets.
- Storage services are standardized: Services can be selected from a storage service catalog, versus requiring custom configuration.
- Storage provisioning is self-service: Administrators can use automation to allocate capacity from the catalog, versus requiring manual component-level provisioning.
For more information, click here.